Pump is dead-time for a new one. Hydraulic?

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Pump is dead-time for a new one. Hydraulic?

Postby powerstroke73L » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:48 pm

Well my junkpile 1/2 HP motor just crapped out and the Grainger gear pump it was driving had started to seep anyway. I had been running it inside a turkey pan to catch the drippings-I think the high temperatures (140-160 degrees) were too much for the seals. I've got my eye on this pump from McMaster:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/114/986

Specifically the second one from the top which is said to pump 0.9 GPM at 1800 RPM at 1000 psi which of course is a wee bit more pressure than a Dieselcraft needs... Big Grin However, with a little simple math I came up with this:

The pump moves 0.129 cubic inches per revolution.

So...

A 1725 RPM motor would move 222.5 cubic inches per minute (1725 x 0.129)

And...

There are 231 cubic inches in one gallon.

Therefore, the pump should move 0.96 gallons per minute (222.5 / 231)-the question is at what pressure? Or is this totally irrelevant? Anyway, I'm just trying to figure out if this rate of flow will apply at 90 PSI. If it does I'm in business. I'm hoping its all good for a few reasons. First, you can get nice cast aluminum mounts for these for direct mounting to the face of the motor which eliminates alignment hassles, plus it makes for a nice clean install. Also, max temperature is 300 degrees. Will it work? I'm also going to pair it with a 100 mesh suction strainer on the inlet side because I'm pretty sure that hydraulic pumps are sensitive to contamination.
powerstroke73L

Postby powerstroke73L » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:18 pm

Well I've done a little research and found at least one person using the setup I'm looking at who likes it a lot. Here's some video of it that was posted over at infopop:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC3_VIak5Lo
powerstroke73L

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering