vo filters clogging prematurely..mold??...Help

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

vo filters clogging prematurely..mold??...Help

Postby gary » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:13 pm

My vo filter is clogging already at just 1000k! I felt my car missing today.The 1st one took about 2000k...but I thought with cf ing I would go like 5000k at least.

What can be going wrong with my filtration method?

I cold settle lightly used canola oil then cf it at 160f at 90 psi for a min. of 4 passes and polish through 2m.

I also noticed what appears to be mold ( blue-green flake) floating on the surface of my sight glass on my vo tank. Could this be involved?

The two things i have to adress but do not know if hey have any thing to do with this...my 55gal drum is not coated and appears to be slightly rusting and my (pickup) 3/4 nipple petrudes 1/2 in into the bottom of the barrel.
gary

Postby coachgeo » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:50 pm

Do you suck from the top of you cleaned oil drum?

Do you have a drain on your drum? If so drain a little to see if any water comes out.

Could you have already had a little water in you tank from previous experements? (can't have algae without water)

put a little of oil from top of you cleaned oil drum in the fridge. See what it does?

also what is you climate
Last edited by coachgeo on Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life; It's all in the Balance

coachgeo

Postby John Galt » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:09 am

Store the cleaned oil outside and only pump the clear oil off the top of the barrel to put in the vehicle tank.
Not doing this can cause the problems you describe.
John Galt

Postby SunWizard » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:23 am

Do you hot pan test each batch for water?
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby gary » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:59 am

I have yet to see tiny(any) bubbles form in my smoking hot pan.

I do not store any oil...I pump what ever I make into my tank...10-15gallons a batch on average. I do use or pump all the oil from the cf barrel though...am I supposed to leave some behind?
gary

Postby SunWizard » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:05 am

If your pickup in the CF barrel sticks up you may not get all the water out due to some free water left in the barrel re-contaminating the VO.

Your filtering could be OK and your conversion doesn't provide enough heat, and fats are clogging your filter, is there another thread with details of your conversion?

Missing could also be due to air leaks, the most common problem.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby gary » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:42 pm

I put alot of dope and teflon tape on the 3/4 nipple when i set up and it still did not tighten up until it is 1/2 inch up into the bottom of the barrel.

I have a fff setup... baffled heated pickup, tih, coolant heated jacket for vo filter, and fphe. I cruise at app. 170-174f vo temps.

when i did my 1st vo filter change 1000k ago this was the symtom I had that gets progressivly worse and when I made the filter change it was immediatly rectified...no air leaks.
gary

Postby SunWizard » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:32 pm

Try a pan test on some of the last VO that you pump from the barrel, or from your vehicle tank.
SunWizard
Site Admin

to hpt

Postby gary » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:25 pm

Ok the way I hpt is I smear(coat) a sample of oil on the bottom of small fry pan and heat up until it begins to smoke/smell and then I put a about 2 tbls of sample in center of pan watching closely for any sign of any tiny bubbles at all...wright?

What I always see is the oil hits and disperses and no bubbles but when I get home tonight I will get some oil out of the bottom of the barrel..there is always a couple of cup fulls left.

I read somewhere that if there is a little petro mixed in the vo it may pass the hpt but still have water..a false positive..or negative..so since my return delay is not set perfect I would imagine there to be some petro in my vo tank so I won't sample that.

So water is the only way to grow what I see?

what about a biocide?
gary

Re: to hpt

Postby coachgeo » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:35 pm

gary wrote:Ok the way I hpt is I smear(coat) a sample of oil on the bottom of small fry pan and heat up until it begins to smoke/smell and then
...sounds about right
I read somewhere that if there is a little petro mixed in the vo it may pass the hpt but still have water....
also sounds about right
...So water is the only way to grow what I see?
if your seeing microbial growth... also sounds about right. :D
what about a biocide?
If its growth.. go for it and replace your filters often for a little while as it gets killed. You got to filter out the stuff while it dies off.

coachgeo

Postby John Galt » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:47 am

I read somewhere that if there is a little petro mixed in the vo it may pass the hpt but still have water..a false positive

Incorrect. That's not what a false positive is. Solvents in oil can produce bubbles that appear like moisture in the oil.
Reading about testing for water in oil will help for better understanding.
http://www.burnveg.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=72
John Galt

Postby gary » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:51 am

Ok..I performed another hpt on from the remaining oil in the bottom of the cf barrel(which if the nipple had anything to do with would be the wettest oil) but it passed...not one bubble...not even a tiny one.

Two things come to mind

Back in july on my first few tankfull of vo I remember seeing a floater in my sightglass and since I used that bluish pipe dope I thought that is what it was.

In november when trying to time my purge I stupidly dumped .25 oz of red food color(water) into my almost empty vo tank. When I did my first vo change I sucked as much of my vo tank as possible out and re cf'd it.Now at 1000k filter is cloging already...Im missing something!
gary

Postby coachgeo » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:57 am

people have known to find the VO cleaning the tank and old fuel lines out and for a while that clogs filters.

Usually this happens more with Bio-D than VO though, but it could be.

Glad it's not water from your filtered CF oil. That would frustrating.

Folk have gotten problems with pipe TAPE in vehicles. If I recall right some have had to go back and redo it all (after filter changes and cleaning some things out) and done it all again wiht pipe DOPE.

coachgeo

Postby SunWizard » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:36 pm

Whats the vehicle? Steel tank?
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby gary » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:38 am

02 vw golf with fff system and aluminum tank
gary

Next

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering