On demand water heater

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

On demand water heater

Postby 123eddie » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:23 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have the standard 220 volt hot water heater element wired 110 volt in a
12'' x 1'' black pipe that works for my gravity feed centrifuge bowl. I'm still experimenting with the flow rates to see what rate passes the hot pan test. The rate could be any where from 2-7 gallons per hour. The pipe heater works but I'm a little bit afraid of leaving alone in the garage. I'm wondering if an on demand electric water heater like the ones for single use sinks would be a viable option. Any comments or other ideas appreciated.
123eddie

Postby coachgeo » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:23 pm

not sure the on demands will get hot enough.

read up on what others have done for safety switches on their inline WVO heaters. I think many have put in thermostats, and something like no flow off switches etc. for safety
Life; It's all in the Balance

coachgeo

Postby 123eddie » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:40 am

I used a standard hot water heater thermostat and it didn't seem to have the ability to evenly monitor the heat. It would eventually trip out and need to be reset. I could control the temp with flow The slower the flow the hotter it gets. My problem is fine tuning any flow to say 120 degrees.
123eddie

Postby HoldOnTight » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:39 pm

tankless water heaters are very pricey ($$$$$) as compared to a DIY heater. tankless heaters often use copper pipe, a no no for Veg Oil compatability. They may measure temps at up to 3 points in the line with up to 3 Heaters. You would pay much less and be happier ($) with a small water heater tank, say 1 to 5 gal.
Late 99 Ford F-250, Designed and installed at home, 30 kMi on VO. WVO temp at solenoid valve is 185-195+F, winter-summer.
HoldOnTight

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering