Fuel system purge

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Fuel system purge

Postby Cumminscanuck » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:48 pm

As a result of an accident, my engine (24 valve Cummins) was shut down on VO. It has now stood for two very cold (-40 on occasion) months since then but I am about to restart it prior to transferring it into a new truck. Can I get some guidance and ideas on how to purge the VO out of the system to ensure that it starts and runs, without doing any damage, before I disconnect every thing.

Thanks.
2000 24 VALVE Quad Cab 2500 SLT. Edge Comp. 275 RV's. PDR HX 35/14 hybrid turbo. 4" Diamond Flow Exhaust. Isspro Pyro, Boost, Trans. Temp. Fuel Pressure, Gauges. Turbo Master. Silicone Boot Kit. FASS. BHAF. Running on SVO.
Cumminscanuck

Postby coachgeo » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:12 pm

All I can think of is stack up some bricks and place a turbo heater ontop pointing at the radiator. Turn it on and heat up the coolant. Same using some duct work to heat up oil pan and the whole engine. Not sure which to do first, radiator or engine.

Or spend some money and buy and install an aux. coolant heater and turn it on.. warm the shiat out of the engine.

Pull the fuel in and out line and put them in a can of diesel so you can get diesel into the system ASAP upon start up.

This is all theory and conjecture mind you.

another idea... while it is all heated up use a mighty vac to suck in from a can of diesel purging the lines of WVO one at a time. Replace all fuel filters with new ones then use the mighty vac so prime them too. Then prime the whole thing with diesel using what ever method is suggested for that engine. After all that all that should be left that is WVO is what is in your IP

Heat the shiat out of your IP with a blow dryer or three so no WVO in there is jelled and will better pass thru injectors as she tries to fire. Pretty quickly all the diesel you have purged with will replace the WVO I would think.
Life; It's all in the Balance

coachgeo

Postby Cumminscanuck » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:35 pm

I finally got round to trying to start the truck today having warmed everything up and fully charged the batteries. I decided to try it first with everything warm and without doing anything to the fuel supply just to see what would happen. It started just as if nothing had happened :D :D :D

Thanks for the guidance Coach, it really helped.
2000 24 VALVE Quad Cab 2500 SLT. Edge Comp. 275 RV's. PDR HX 35/14 hybrid turbo. 4" Diamond Flow Exhaust. Isspro Pyro, Boost, Trans. Temp. Fuel Pressure, Gauges. Turbo Master. Silicone Boot Kit. FASS. BHAF. Running on SVO.
Cumminscanuck

Postby coachgeo » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:01 pm

Cumminscanuck wrote:...Thanks for the guidance Coach, it really helped.
Don't thank me, thank all those before me that I learned from.
Life; It's all in the Balance

coachgeo

Postby jburke » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:45 am

Glad to hear you started ok.
Proves the old German adage:
"If it's liquid, it will start"

If the engine is at 65*F, it will start no problem.
Might even start at 55*F w double gp. cycle and with smoke.
jburke

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion