Recomendations...VO Pre-Filter?

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Postby WD8CDH » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:12 am

John Galt wrote:MBenz filters are not available as easily as Purolator filters.

I got a surprise. I called AutoZone, Advance Auto Parts, Aid Auto Parts, NAPA, Carquest, PEP Boys, Federal Auto Parts and 2 local Mom and Pop auto parts stores. All of them had MB replacement filters, only Aid and PEP Boys had the complete Purolator Filter and only PEP Boys had the replacement elements.
Ron Schroeder
WD8CDH
'85 MB 300DT 2 Tank
Since '81 former WVO conversions:
'83 240D
'80 Audi 4000D
'83 Isuzu Pup
'86 Golf
'76 Honda Civic with Kubota engine
Prior to the cars, several generators
Kubota Tractor
WD8CDH

Postby WD8CDH » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:29 am

colonelsanders wrote:anyone have an opinion on the product connected to the ebay link i listed above? any experience w/ this kind of pre filter?

i would rather go w/something metal and this one looks like it would have a better flow rate and easier clean ability.

One of the primary reasons for the prefilter is to be able to diagnose the fuel quality before the fuel pump. That's why I prefer a plastic or glass filter housing for the rough filter. For the final filter, I do prefer metal, primarily to handle the heat.

By the way, I tend to try to use the same type of filter elements on both WVO and Diesel so I make sure that any element is suitable for both fuels. In my experience, I have had far more problems with the diesel fuel and it's filters than I have with the VO side.
Ron Schroeder
WD8CDH
'85 MB 300DT 2 Tank
Since '81 former WVO conversions:
'83 240D
'80 Audi 4000D
'83 Isuzu Pup
'86 Golf
'76 Honda Civic with Kubota engine
Prior to the cars, several generators
Kubota Tractor
WD8CDH