viscosity of ULSD

Single Tank WVO systems and blending SVO WVO to thin it.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

viscosity of ULSD

Postby rtarh2o » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:20 pm

I have read several times on various forums that people tend to think that ULSD is thinner than regular diesel, any truth to this?
Rusty
1994 Mercedes G350DT
94 6.2 Diesel Toyota Land Cruiser 7,000 miles on blend (sold)
rtarh2o

Re: viscosity of ULSD

Postby John Galt » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:05 pm

rtarh2o wrote:I have read several times on various forums that people tend to think that ULSD is thinner than regular diesel, any truth to this?
Rusty

Quite true, many people tend to think that, but it may or may not be true in fact.

What do you specifically mean by "ULSD" and "regular diesel"
Diesel fuel varies widely both seasonally and regionally.

Your question is like asking which is thinner waffle syrup or pancake syrup?
John Galt

Postby rtarh2o » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:55 pm

John, of course Pancake syrup is thicker, it doesn't have the holes that the waffles have to keep it in place so it has to be.
Back to fuel, I am aware there are differences in fuel, #1, #2 but given the same rating is ULSD thinner? I assumed it was probably the same but it sure looks and smells different than the "regular" old diesel (is there another name for it?) Has anyone tested it?
Rusty
1994 Mercedes G350DT
94 6.2 Diesel Toyota Land Cruiser 7,000 miles on blend (sold)
rtarh2o

Postby John Galt » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:32 pm

You're missing the point. There is NO standardized viscosity for D1or D2, whether it's the newer ULSD or the older LSD or the older yet SD. The viscosity of diesel fuels varies all over the world and at different times of the year. Generally D2 [summer grade] is thicker than D1 [winter grade]. D2 has paraffin added and D1 is primarily kerosene. Trying to compare fuel used today with fuel used in the past is a pointless exercise. Any answer is both correct and wrong. Do you understand now?
John Galt

Return to Single Tank Systems and Blending