Acidic WVO, engine damage and titration

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Acidic WVO, engine damage and titration

Postby all_grown_up » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:19 am

While serving the web I came accross this website offering some different views on the use of WVO in diesel engines. In particular, they are concerned that acidic oil will cause engine damage and recommend testing via titration to determine whether WVO is suitable.

Filtering and centrifuging the oil will not fix the acidity. The site is http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_svo.html#titsvo

This sounds like a reasonable concern but yet I have not seen it discussed (or maybe I missed it). Does this have merit? Should I add another step to my oil cleaning process. Sunwizard?
all_grown_up

Postby SunWizard » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Free fatty acids have never been shown to cause any damage. Water soluble acids do cause damage, and if the water is all removed so is the acid. Thats why the pan test is the important one.

That site is full of misinformation, such as: "If you use good quality waste oil there's no need to filter it". They make no mention of dewatering and pan testing for water which is the most important step, so thats probably why they must titrate since they could otherwise have acidic suspended water.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby all_grown_up » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:31 pm

Thanks,

Yes I noted the comment "no need to filter" and wondered about the rest of their comments.
all_grown_up

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering