Help With 95 Cummins Install

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Postby SunWizard » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:48 pm

knoxbiobenz wrote:I ordered a vegtherm mega and I should be getting it next week. I think that this will allow for a quicker switch over.

You shouldn't switch over until your coolant is warm. The vegtherm will have no effect on the time it takes to warm your coolant or the 700 pounds of steel in the engine.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby coachgeo » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:27 pm

I think what sun is illuding to here is that while your fuel may be ready sooner visocity wise..... your still taking what he feels is unnessary risk to your engine.

Engine at normal operating temperatures is more efficent rather it be on diesel or a fuel mimicking diesel. If your using say WVO set to mimick diesel.. unless it is a exact perfect mimick; which it is not,..... your taking more risk to coking etc. if you feed in that fuel into an engine that is at lower than its optimal engine temp.
Life; It's all in the Balance

coachgeo

Postby knoxbiobenz » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:06 pm

That is a very good point Sun. And I will keep that in mind when I switch over.
Last weekend I put insulation wrap on all of my VO lines and I immediately got another 10-15 degree increase in temps. That is definitely the best $1.88 I have spent on this conversion.

I have not put the Vegtherm on yet but I am debating putting a switch on it or not. Does anyone have any experience with on of these and rather or not to use a switch??
1995 Dodge Cummins 2500, 194,xxx miles
2- Tank System Designed from Sun's
25,000 VO miles

1984 MB 300D- Sold
1983 MB 300TD- Sold
1980 MB 300SD- Sold
knoxbiobenz

Postby BMW Fan » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:10 am

IMHO you should have a switch ( relay ) and a temperature sensor to prevent overheating.

BMW Fan
BMW Fan

Postby knoxbiobenz » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:03 pm

I just wanted to check in and let you Guy's know that the system has been running real well lately and I haven't had any issues since I figured out about the injector drain manifold and the build up of pressure.

Thanks to all who have helped so far.
Zack
1995 Dodge Cummins 2500, 194,xxx miles
2- Tank System Designed from Sun's
25,000 VO miles

1984 MB 300D- Sold
1983 MB 300TD- Sold
1980 MB 300SD- Sold
knoxbiobenz

Postby paulkrohn1 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:08 pm

I don't think the CTD owner's need to worry about getting the oil to hot. They run cool at least mine does. I have my temp sending unit right in the flow path so I'll find out soon.

Ok...I am now ready to cut into the supply and return for D2. However, I noticed the flex hose feels like it is double rapped. It like there is a hard inner core. Is this 3/8 hose so I can use either hose barbs or flared aluminum tubing to connect to my manual valves. I'm pretty sure once they are cut they won't reach to where I have the valves mounted which is near the 4x4 shifter.

One more....I purchased the cheapo oil pressure gauge from autoz and it had a smaller than 1/4 pex tube for the sending line. I can not find a needle valve that will size to the smaller than 1/4 inch line. Reading SunWizard's threads he uses the valve to get rid of the pulses from the lift pump so you can read the gauge. I can find 1/4 inch tubing but he adapters will not interchange with the gauge. Any thoughts?
98 12 Valve, BHAF, Fuel Plate, conversion in-process
paulkrohn1

Postby SunWizard » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:35 pm

paulkrohn1 wrote:One more....I purchased the cheapo oil pressure gauge from autoz and it had a smaller than 1/4 pex tube for the sending line. I can not find a needle valve that will size to the smaller than 1/4 inch line. Reading SunWizard's threads he uses the valve to get rid of the pulses from the lift pump so you can read the gauge. I can find 1/4 inch tubing but he adapters will not interchange with the gauge. Any thoughts?

The fittings for the gauge are 1/8 pipe thread, very common. You don't tap into the pex tube, put the needle valve before the pex compression fitting that came with the guage. From my other threads about this:
" I used a brass needle valve in the line to the guage. www.mcmaster.com 7833K73 Medium-pressure Needle Valve W/metal Seats, Brass, 1/8" Npt Male X Female. No more pulses."
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby SunWizard » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:41 pm

paulkrohn1 wrote:I don't think the CTD owner's need to worry about getting the oil to hot. They run cool at least mine does. I have my temp sending unit right in the flow path so I'll find out soon.

They don't run cool with a properly working thermostat, they run at exactly the temp of the tstat, which is 180-190F.
Ok...I am now ready to cut into the supply and return for D2. However, I noticed the flex hose feels like it is double rapped. It like there is a hard inner core. Is this 3/8 hose so I can use either hose barbs or flared aluminum tubing to connect to my manual valves. I'm pretty sure once they are cut they won't reach to where I have the valves mounted which is near the 4x4 shifter.

The stock hoses were plenty long enough to reach my valves since I cut them near the frame rail where they switch from hose to tube. My valves are also right by the 4x4 shifter.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby paulkrohn1 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:09 pm

The only remaining questions I have for now is about the brass fittings. The McMaster site only rates the brass fittings to be at 15O degrees. The oil coming out of the FPHE should exceed that if everything is designed properly. Should I be concerned? I plumbed brass fittings from my tank all through to the brass tee at the IP supply line. also plumbed my coolant fittings with some brass parts as well.

And...the Spectra in-line filter from AutoZ has a plastic 40 mic screen in it. I wanted some extra protection on the inlet side of the IP. Is this compatible with hot WVO? Or should I let the stock screen on the IP take care of this and just use a piece of clear plastic tubing to view for any air bubbles? How did you time your purge and what type of clear tubing did you use?
98 12 Valve, BHAF, Fuel Plate, conversion in-process
paulkrohn1

Postby SunWizard » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:07 pm

paulkrohn1 wrote:The McMaster site only rates the brass fittings to be at 15O degrees. The oil coming out of the FPHE should exceed that if everything is designed properly. Should I be concerned?

No.
And...the Spectra in-line filter from AutoZ has a plastic 40 mic screen in it. I wanted some extra protection on the inlet side of the IP. Is this compatible with hot WVO?

I Don't know, probably not.
How did you time your purge and what type of clear tubing did you use?

I used a clear inline filter that I moved around temporarily.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Vegetable oil temperature issues

Postby harrisonm3 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:35 pm

The truck has been running on vegetable oil for a while. I am continuing to add and improve the system. Recently added the vegetable oil temperature gauge and I was shocked to see that the oil isn't getting as hot as I suspected.

I've been switching over to vegetable oil when the thermostat needle covers up the 1 on the 190 mark of my dodge truck. The vegetable oil temperature guage reads 85-90 when I first switch over and quickly climbs to 120F or so. It gets hotter in city driving. I use the truck mainly for Freeway driving. The hottest the oil has gotten is 147F.

I have a Large Hotfox in my 120 gallon L tank, HIH with PEX tubing, 31 Plate FPHE. Coolant is in Paralell. Coolant wrapped filter, and Looped return.

I am curious what others with similar conversions have for vegetable oil temperatures.

I plan on getting a new t-stat and have heard rumor of a 192f t-stat for another application that will work on the Cummins.

As always any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Have an awesome day
Converted Dodge 2500 97 4x4,
3 valve looped return, Heated pickup, TIH, 31 FPHE.
http://veggiescout.blogspot.com/
harrisonm3

Postby harrisonm3 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:05 pm

Most of my setup is insulated.

I'm going to grab the hotter and much cheaper t-stat from napa and insulate the rest.

Hope for the best.
Have an awesome day
harrisonm3

Re: Vegetable oil temperature issues

Postby SunWizard » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:25 pm

harrisonm3 wrote:I am curious what others with similar conversions have for vegetable oil temperatures.

I don't know how similar yours is, but mine is always 160-180F on the WVO temp gauge just before the IP. The only difference when its -10F morning is that it takes longer for the engine to warm up before switchover. Blocking my radiator 50-80% made much more difference in switchover time than insulation.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby harrisonm3 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:37 pm

What temperature does the vegetable oil read before you switch over?
Have an awesome day
harrisonm3

Postby SunWizard » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:48 pm

harrisonm3 wrote:What temperature does the vegetable oil read before you switch over?

It reads nothing since there is no flow past the sender before switchover.
SunWizard
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion