dc and water?

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

dc and water?

Postby gary » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:13 pm

When the dc is operating and you look down at the oil dumping into the barrel you can see what appears to be clear bubbles floating and shooting out to the sides of the barrel...that is air and not an indication of water...right?

Is it true that if your making 4 passes at 160f and 90psi that any water present is burnt off and not in the bowl at the end...I never did a hpt on whats left...and if water is in the bowl at what is the lowest psi that would keep it there because i pupm through my polishing filter and use the cf as my bypass at 40 psi.
gary

Re: dc and water?

Postby SunWizard » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:23 am

gary wrote:When the dc is operating and you look down at the oil dumping into the barrel you can see what appears to be clear bubbles floating and shooting out to the sides of the barrel...that is air and not an indication of water...right?

Yes water would sink not float.
Is it true that if your making 4 passes at 160f and 90psi that any water present is burnt off and not in the bowl at the end...I never did a hpt on whats left...

Not true at all. Some VO is good after 0 passes, some is after 12. If it was very wet, there can be free water in the CF rotor that you must capture at shutdown. The only way to tell is a HPT.
and if water is in the bowl at what is the lowest psi that would keep it there because i pupm through my polishing filter and use the cf as my bypass at 40 psi.

Any major lowering of pressure (like from 90 to 40) could release some water from the rotor since it changes the G force which holds it in the bowl.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering