Lynnette Test, DFA Dino Fuel Alternatives

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Lynnette Test, DFA Dino Fuel Alternatives

Postby mortarsprayer » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:55 pm

Hello Listers,

I have been looking for alternative fuel possibilities that would pass the 'Lynnette Test. This test sets a very high standard meaning that every component I select must be no more cumbersome or problematic than the stock set up. It must never leave my wife, Lynnette along side of the road with my children.

This year, the goal is to set up a vegi car that will pass the Lynnette Test.

Yesterday I made a trip to Portland OR and one of my stops was to meet Jason Crawford, the owner of DFA www.dinofuelalternatives.com .

During the visit, I got to see and admire the DFA ' Turn key system' in Person. I like many things about this approach. By combining the major components onto a machined block, components are easily maintained and there an fewer connections to leak. The main control block is nicely machined like you would expect to find in a new Caterpillar excavator or other modern equipment.

After looking at the main parts of the DFA kit, we went for a ride in a stock Ford diesel with their system. That is where we saw that the system passed the Lynnette test. In the truck, there was just one switch. It was left in the on position. We started driving and once the manifold temperature hit 140 degrees, the system automatically switched on.
Jason pointed out that if there ever was a failure , the regular fuel system is ready and would bypass the vegi side.
When we returned to the shop, he turned off the ignition and the truck automatically purged the fuel before shutting down.

My Dodge is on the opposite end of the scale with the manual 3 valve switch over. The DFA sure looks like a great approach for simple operation if one is trying to pass the Lynnette Test.

Have a great day.
Nolan
Nolan
95 Dodge Cummins 3500 Flatbed, dump.
Started life as chassis cab, 2WD automatic pos, converted to 4WD with 5 speed that pulls like a freight train.
mortarsprayer

Postby 123eddie » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:56 am

Nolan, For a powerstroke there is probably no better conversion out there but for the 12 valve dodges suns' design works the best in my humble opinion. My wife drives my truck when her car is being worked on and after a 3 week period I realized that she would not look at gauges, move levers and repeat the process so this is where I differed from sun's design. I have a roverhybrid controller that is powered thru a temp switch. It is plumbed exactly like sun's only with 3 large body hydroforce valves instead of manual. When you start the truck you hit the veg on switch and it doesn't come switch until the temp of the engine is up to operating temperature. The purge time can be set manually on the controller for both switch to veg and back to diesel. When you shut down just turn the veg switch off and it purges back to veg and is ready to start on diesel. I also wired a buzzer to remind me if I shut the truck off with out switching to diesel and it has saved me from having to start the next morning on veg. I don't care for vegistrokes purge system that takes over your shut off in case of emergency by extending the shut off and takes away the option of purging on the final approach to your designation. I have no intention on buying a ford but if I was it would likely have a vegistroke conversion.

In your signature you state that you converted a 2 wheel drive to 4 wheel drive. I have a 98 12 valve that I converted using sunwizard's schematics and it runs so good that I find myself driving a couple of hundred miles to camp because fuel is not an issue. I now realize that a 4 wheel drive is what I should of bought and was thinking about converting my truck over to 4 wheel instead of starting over with a new truck. How big of job was this. I have started a search for a donor 4 wheel truck.
123eddie

Postby mortarsprayer » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:13 am

Hello Eddie,
In BIG letters, ALL caps, you do not want to follow my path of converting my automatic 2wd Dodge into a 4wd with 5 speed. Mine started as a cab in chassis with a dead front axle. Without the help and skill of my friend David Karvwanaris I could not have completed the project.

In most cases , it is better cash wise to start with a 4wd. It worked in this case because we had already built it into a flatbed dump with lots of other details.

I smile every time I drive my truck. It is built from the hands of many friends.
Oh the stories I could tell of what we have done with it..............

Have a great day,
Nolan
Nolan
95 Dodge Cummins 3500 Flatbed, dump.
Started life as chassis cab, 2WD automatic pos, converted to 4WD with 5 speed that pulls like a freight train.
mortarsprayer

Postby 123eddie » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:33 am

Hi Nolan,

Thanks for the quick reply and likely saving me from attempting to convert my truck to 4 wheel drive. I also have a friend George Alonso who's shop it would of have been done in. I haven't talked to George yet but I'm sure you experience would transfer to my application. Like you I get pleasure hitting the switch and running on veg and knowing I converted this my self. I was hoping to extend this to a 4 wheel switch but your advice has firmly confirmed my recent plan. If I get stuck a lot while camping or find myself not being able to go where I want to I'll sell my truck and start over with a 4 wheel Dodge.
123eddie

Postby coachgeo » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:46 pm

if you want to convert to 4wd there is a new.... revolutionary IMHO product out know by a well known international company that can turn your truck into something a hummer WISHES it was. Bolt on Portal axle ends that fit Dana 60's.

No lift kit needed either.

http://www.motorsports.axletech.com/portal.asp
Life; It's all in the Balance

coachgeo

Postby 123eddie » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:03 am

Coach if I was going to build a full tilt truck that would be the way to go. It would go well on an expedition truck like the ones on this site http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/f ... y.php?f=28
I found this site while looking at shell options and this is what you can do if money is not an option.
123eddie

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion