adding diesel to make pumping VO easier

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

adding diesel to make pumping VO easier

Postby tubular031 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:09 am

I got a barrel of shortening for free. Yup it’s a 55 gal barrel of solid grease! Its new unused but the company had to reject it because the tamper seal was not perfect. Fine by me since it was free  I dropped in my heater and slowly melted it down and pumped some out so I could move the barrel easier. I thought I would test an idea I had. I put about 15 gal into a barrel when it was warm (liquid) and then added 5 gal or so of diesel to the barrel. To my surprise, it stayed liquid until about one night when we hit 30 deg and it started to chunk up. At 50 deg is was still very liquid and could easily be pumped if needed.

This got me to thinking, when I pick up my oil and its cold out, its really hard to pump and it takes forever! Normally I arrive to the restaurant, open my barrel and drop in a water heater element dangling from a piece of wood across the barrel and then go in and eat lunch. When I come back in an hour or so most of the barrel is warm enough to fairly easily pump out half or more. But the last 25% to 40% gets pretty thick again. What if I get there and dump 5 gal of diesel into the barrel? Will that be enough to thin the oil out and make my pumping life easier?

I use the frybird still setup to filter and dewater. Would having a veggie/diesel mix cause any issues? Some day I will get a centrifuge.
01 F350 CCLB SRW

Veggie conversion done!
http://www.burnveg.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=623
tubular031

Postby SunWizard » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:28 am

The main issue I see with that is it can make the hot pan test not work reliably anymore, so you will have a hard time telling if its dewatered.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby tubular031 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:32 am

interesting. what is it about the diesel that causes it to react that way to the heat in the pan?
01 F350 CCLB SRW

Veggie conversion done!
http://www.burnveg.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=623
tubular031

Postby David » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:49 pm

When Picking up thick Oil in winter, I used to heat up a 20L Bucket of oil real hot and take that with me. I would throw it in the drum I was collecting from and found it gave me enough warmth in the rest of the drum to make it pump easy with the Bilge Pump I was using at the time.

Now days I use a gear pump that will shift anything remotely semi liquid and have better sources of oil so I'm not chasing stuff that is anywhere near as thick.

Your probably in some place where it gets to freezing so you might want to take 2 drums of hot oil with you... One to put in at the start and one later on for the part of the barrel you normally have trouble with.

I don't give a damn about what might or could happen until a significant group of people can tell me it HAS happened to them.
Until then, it's just more endless gloom and doom Veg folk law.
David

Postby SunWizard » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:17 pm

tubular031 wrote:interesting. what is it about the diesel that causes it to react that way to the heat in the pan?

I think its that some portion of the D2 becomes vapor at a much lower temp than VO, similar to water. Hot D2 vapors exposed to an open flame could be hazardous as well.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby sonofthesun » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:15 pm

i'm gonna pump out my 50/50 blend and heat it up with the bucket heater to dewater, on and off for several days and then filter off the top again.

sound good sun? i don't think i'll blow up. if i do, i wont hold it against you.

:)

Fuck it i'm goin for it! Until I get a Cfuge this is what I gotta do.
sonofthesun

Postby SunWizard » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:06 pm

sonofthesun wrote:i'm gonna pump out my 50/50 blend and heat it up with the bucket heater to dewater, on and off for several days and then filter off the top again.

sound good sun?

No, sounds like a bad idea. Besides the danger it probably won't work anyway. You should study how to dewater, thats not the way.

And besides those issues, the hot pan test won't work on a blend, so you won't even be able to tell if you have dewatered!
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby John Galt » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:28 pm

You should study how to dewater, thats not the way.

x2 !!!!
John Galt

Postby HoldOnTight » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:14 pm

tubular031 wrote:interesting. what is it about the diesel that causes it to react that way to the heat in the pan?

What is happening is the diesel is mixing with the grease, when the grease is melted... The grease starts to have a lower "freeze point" like the diesel, much like adding salt to water to lower the freeze point, or blending to reduce viscosity.

HoldOnTight
Late 99 Ford F-250, Designed and installed at home, 30 kMi on VO. WVO temp at solenoid valve is 185-195+F, winter-summer.
HoldOnTight

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering