heated 2 tank system vo/diesel blend

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

heated 2 tank system vo/diesel blend

Postby tubular031 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:47 am

This kinda goes with another threat I have going on and I have read mixed answers...

What are your thoughts about running a blend of VO and diesel in a heated second tank? I have a hotfox heated pickup in my 90 gal tank in the bed. I have burned maybe 20 gal so far and I have been running about 10% to 20% diesel in the tank. At first I ran 100% diesel in there (no heat) to test my pump and connections to make sure I had no leaks, then as I filtered oil, I added it to the tank (about 30 gal at a time) then to top off the tank I added a little more diesel. I once talked to DFA and they said there is no rule and its not in their instructions, but they suggest 5 to 10% diesel in the tank.

Now I know its not needed, but has anyone here found any benefit to a little diesel in the vo tank?

Ill be posting a little writeup on my system soon. Its pretty much the veggiestroke v2 with a fphe.
01 F350 CCLB SRW

Veggie conversion done!
http://www.burnveg.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=623
tubular031

Postby knoxbiobenz » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:57 pm

I have never ran D2 in my VO tank but I have ran a MB one tank for about a year and a half. I know that it will not hurt anything but. I also know that the VO and diesel will not fully bond together and there will be a little separation. You can try some samples in cubies with D2 and VO and take a look at it a week or two later.
1995 Dodge Cummins 2500, 194,xxx miles
2- Tank System Designed from Sun's
25,000 VO miles

1984 MB 300D- Sold
1983 MB 300TD- Sold
1980 MB 300SD- Sold
knoxbiobenz

Postby John Galt » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:05 pm

I also know that the VO and diesel will not fully bond together and there will be a little separation.

Some VO will and some VO won't. Like the man says you MUST test your own fuel blends.
Clear cold filtered VO generally won't separate. Any PHO or fats in the "WVO" will separate and can cause problems in an unheated system.
John Galt

Postby dragonfly » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:56 pm

I've run cold VO in my SimpleCF to get the fats out for one of our Greater San Diego Greasers who has a one tank system. He was surprised to see the large amt of fat was pulled out of just 10 gals - about 3 cups worth. A well heated two tank system, FPHE and in-tank HE, will dissolve the fats and not bothered burning the fats. I haven't changed the VO filter in over 10K miles. Two tanks systems are worth the extra effort. Had to do a complete ring job by starting a cold engine and cold VO. Won't do that again. Changed out the engine thermostat to 82C after that mistake.
dragonfly

Postby tubular031 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:37 am

you guys are talking about unheated. I am wondering if there is any good in running a little diesel in a HEATED vo tank?
01 F350 CCLB SRW

Veggie conversion done!
tubular031

Postby John Galt » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:22 pm

The more diesel that's mixed in, then the less chance of the oil polymerizing.
John Galt

Postby tubular031 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:41 pm

I have heard that the more diesel in there the more chance of explosion from the fumes? I did not think that was too true, that is why I am asking the experts!

I know the diesel will thin out the vo in the tank and help for super cold temps. just wondering if the diesel in there will help with the actual burning in the cylinder?
01 F350 CCLB SRW

Veggie conversion done!
tubular031

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion