WORKING A TRUCK ON WVO

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

WORKING A TRUCK ON WVO

Postby TNCARDOC » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:54 am

I have a 97 dodge diesel that I pull a trailer that will gross about 12k pounds plus truck. I run a two tank system that I made. I have a 50gal alum. tank in a box in the bed, filter then pump HIH to engine. My oil stays at 180f and the truck runs good. Here in TN. it is hilly and it will take up to 5 minutes or more at full throtal to get over the hills. Is it good or bad to do this on WVO? Will this add to or help clean coking at the high temps? THANK YOU RUSS
Hendersonville TN. 97 DODGE TWO TANK SYSTEM
TNCARDOC

Postby SunWizard » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:15 pm

With any diesel its good to work it hard, whether running on VO or D2. Both burn cleaner at higher temps.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby David » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:55 pm

Full throttle running is ideal but you want to check the exhaust. If the engine is over fueled and you are getting a lot of black smoke, that is unburned fuel and could lead to buildups on veg. You may want to wind the pump back a bit so there isn't anything more than a bit of light smoking.

Other than that, wide open running will keep the engine as clean as it can be and the thing you want to avoid is long periods of idling.

I try to take my car on the freeway at least once a week and give the thing a good rev through the gears. I usually see some smoke or rubbish coming out the back initially but it quickly clears which is what I want.

I don't give a damn about what might or could happen until a significant group of people can tell me it HAS happened to them.
Until then, it's just more endless gloom and doom Veg folk law.
David

Postby TNCARDOC » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:11 am

:D My truck is stock so no smoke I just work it hard every day. :D
Hendersonville TN. 97 DODGE TWO TANK SYSTEM
TNCARDOC

Postby knoxbiobenz » Wed May 06, 2009 9:02 am

Hey from Knoxville here,
I too have a 2-tank system for my Cummins.
At times here in East TN I get a a hill and my engine just will not rev high and get over the hill. The speedo kinda lags a bit and then slowly drops. If I switch it over to D2 w/ the diesel filter then it kicks right up and I can make it over the hill easily.

I am open to all ideas but I think that I am not filtering my VO good enough is my problem.
1995 Dodge Cummins 2500, 194,xxx miles
2- Tank System Designed from Sun's
25,000 VO miles

1984 MB 300D- Sold
1983 MB 300TD- Sold
1980 MB 300SD- Sold
knoxbiobenz

Postby coachgeo » Wed May 06, 2009 8:37 pm

knoxbiobenz wrote:....I am open to all ideas but I think that I am not filtering my VO good enough is my problem.

thinkz ya could

1. have a small air leak that only surfaces under high vacuum situations like heavy fuel use when working hard
2. have a fuel pump that is getting weak and does not pull a slightly thicker fuel fast enough to feed an engine under heavy load
3. have a system not quit hot enough thus compounding issue with weak pump; oil even thicker, then pump can't keep up.
Life; It's all in the Balance

coachgeo

Postby paulkrohn1 » Sat May 09, 2009 6:49 am

What temps are you getting out of the FPHE? I'm currently getting 170 with half of my lines insulated. I would have guessed the same as coachgeo...the lift pump my be weak enough to have some trouble on the VO side. I think they are only rated for 100k service.

Also....what model year MB in-line filter are you using? AutoZ has tons of them all plastic. Trying to get an idea what works best for those temps.
98 12 Valve, BHAF, Fuel Plate, conversion in-process
paulkrohn1

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion