sucker tank/ dc centrifuge (the holy grail)

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

sucker tank/ dc centrifuge (the holy grail)

Postby mcbg » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:18 pm

For onboard filtration and to save the space of a 55 gal drum for the centrifuge. Would a horizontal propane tank bolted in the bed of the truck be ok for the CF, or would it have to be standing?
Any problems that keep this combo from becoming more than a dream?
Electricity would be from generator.
Edit/Delete Message
mcbg

Postby coachgeo » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:43 am

my understanding is you have to have a way for the steam, air born water vapor etc. to escape. That is why Sun promotes an open top drum. You see the CF's like the Diesel craft are not "true" centrifuges.. they use two prinicples to dewater; CFing and Evaporation, where a "true" CF uses only one... gravity by spinning AKA CFing. That had me confused for a while too. I thought they were true CF's

You need air flow to move the evaporated water away from the oil so it does not settle right back down into it. Thus the open drum. There might be other ways to catch the water evaporated into the air but air flow is simple.

Im with you on holey grail!!! On here somewhere is a thread where me and Sun discussed how to create this airflow in a semi closed system. I had proposed useing a closed top bucket with holes N,S, E, W, creating a 4 sided tube to have the CF mounted north and dumps out into... droping straight out the South bottom of the 4way would be clean oil into the tank while the horizontal (East and West) section had air flow (fan?) to push water vapor out. Sun suggested a fat 4 way pipe.. which I didn't know they made.
Life; It's all in the Balance

coachgeo

Re: sucker tank/ dc centrifuge (the holy grail)

Postby SunWizard » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:37 am

mcbg wrote:Would a horizontal propane tank bolted in the bed of the truck be ok for the CF, or would it have to be standing?

Yes. As coachgeo says, you need a way for air to flow across the bottom of the CF, and a cross fitting is one way.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby mcbg » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:55 am

SunWizard wrote:
mcbg wrote:Would a horizontal propane tank bolted in the bed of the truck be ok for the CF, or would it have to be standing?

Yes. As coachgeo says, you need a way for air to flow across the bottom of the CF, and a cross fitting is one way.

would the cross fitting keep the elements(rain, dust) out?
mcbg

Postby SunWizard » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:50 am

mcbg wrote:would the cross fitting keep the elements(rain, dust) out?

Rain would be easy to keep out by how you orient the pipes going into the fitting. Dust would be hard to keep out since you would need to put air filters on any air flowing through it.

The easy solution to all the issues is to run the CF while stopped, as I have run mine for years as described in the CF thread here.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby coachgeo » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:33 pm

automotiv air filter and good fan ....... sounds plausible to me, not that my thinking is worth much.

coachgeo

Postby coachgeo » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:17 pm

thank you to rkpatt for hosting the image

it is very frustrating for me that life is keeping me mostly in planing stages with no opportunities arising in years to put anything actually in practice much less personal trial and error. forces me to be only able to participate by throwing out crazy ideas and letting you folk chew it up and mold it or just flat reject it.

Sooo with that in mind. Recent events brought me together with a Traveling WVO user with trailered open drum; typical Diesel Craft filter station set up. Long trip with late into the night filtering each evening, little sleep cause of it etc. Got my brain thinking about on board filtering while traveling again.

On board filtering (while driving)

see diagram

. Blue is Centrifuge.

. CF tank is closed with removable top. 2 to 5 gal?

. Clean Air is blown thru a tube w/12v Fan. Oil out of centrifuge exits into a cross fitting in this tube w/oil flow dropping out the bottom. Air blows across path of oil. Thought is this would be blowing away water/steam that is leaving CF and out the tube. Tube is at slight angle so water that condenses on sides is encouraged to drain out and not drop back into cleaned oil.

. Valve (on a timer?) can divert cleaned oil back to Cf Tank for double or triple??? run thru Cf before being diverted to clean tank.

. Check valve prevents semi clean oil from going to dirty tank when Cfing more than once before sending to clean tank

. pumps to move oil around are not shown in drawing.

. heater mechanism to bring oil to Cf temps not shown in drawing
Last edited by coachgeo on Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

coachgeo

Postby coachgeo » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:09 am

oops.... I see in my design there should be one more check valve on the loop of clean oil back to CF for additional rounds of CFing. This check valve would keep dirty oil from going into the T it shares with the semi clean oil.

coachgeo

Postby HoldOnTight » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:59 pm

The idea is coming along... Unless you want to contaminate your oil with dust and dirt from the air, you will pull the air through a filter before it gets exposed to the hot VO.

HoldOnTight
Late 99 Ford F-250, Designed and installed at home, 30 kMi on VO. WVO temp at solenoid valve is 185-195+F, winter-summer.
HoldOnTight

Postby coachgeo » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:15 pm

HoldOnTight wrote:The idea is coming along... Unless you want to contaminate your oil with dust and dirt from the air, you will pull the air through a filter before it gets exposed to the hot VO.

HoldOnTight
in the diagram on the right side where the air intake is you will see there is an air filter.

What I don't know is the best configuration for the our outlet on the left side. Air flow from driving might cause air to enter that side... or some other phenomenon Im not aware of since Im not an air flow expert. Would be great if could get air flow to work right so when driving no fan was needed cause traveling enourages air to enter and exit as designed w/out need of fan. snorkle? an inline moisture trap? Dont want moisture to get pulled in though such as wet air or rain.

coachgeo

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering