Pellet Stove Question

Space Heating with SVO WVO Vegetable Oil Biofuel.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Pellet Stove Question

Postby coachgeo » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:33 pm

Who has a Pellet Stove?

John Galt??

Wondering how hot the area the pellets are stored gets. Warm enough for pellet material previously soaked in WVO but dried out now.. might melt the oil in the material and make it drip out (fire hazard?) or worse combust?
Life; It's all in the Balance

coachgeo

Postby SunWizard » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:12 am

I think the main problem is that the pellets would be sticky from the VO and wouldn't flow into the stove smoothly as needed.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby coachgeo » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:57 am

interesting, thank you Sun.

The pellets slide in right? a chute opens and closes right?

coachgeo

Postby SunWizard » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:52 pm

There are different styles to feed the pellets but they all would have a problem with anything sticky.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby coachgeo » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:42 pm

possible sticky solution is to create a shake and bake type environment (large tumbler?) and use it to coat these with something like corn startch so they end up not sticky hmmm. Or maybe a big Wok like pan with corn starch in it and as your about to load the hopper, you put a load in the Wok.. slosh them around to coat them then pour it in the hopper, repeat till the hoppers full.

Corn starch ok for this idea??? any other ideas.

coachgeo

Re: Pellet Stove Question

Postby John Galt » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:45 pm

coachgeo wrote:Who has a Pellet Stove?

John Galt??
Of course not, I wouldn't waste my time and energy. A sensible person would buy a small wood stove and burn a bountiful supply of free combustibles. Assuming of course that the goal was to heat a home, not engage in endless discussion of more and more complex alternatives.
KISS
For example, lets assume that one's work could provide a large supply of once used paper towels, like a school for instance. It would be quite easy to stuff dry paper towels into empty milk cartons then pour heated used PHO into the stuffed towels. The towels would absorb the PHO then it would thicken. Crimp the cartons closed and one has a ready supply of high energy recycled fuel bricks for next to nothing, just the time to make 'em. A small kindling fire of scrap wood in the woodstove then toss in a oil-brick and the result is quick heat. Just one example of how real problems can be solved simply. Assuming of course that the goal was to actually heat a home.

On the other hand if the goal is inordinate complexity then all sorts of designs can be devised for complicated machines to turn waste paper into pellets to feed an even more complicated stove. Way more interesting if the goal is endless armchair discussion for entertainment and relief of boredom, instead of simple problem solving.
John Galt

Re: Pellet Stove Question

Postby David » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:39 am

John Galt wrote:On the other hand if the goal is inordinate complexity then all sorts of designs can be devised for complicated machines to turn waste paper into pellets to feed an even more complicated stove. Way more interesting if the goal is endless armchair discussion for entertainment and relief of boredom, instead of simple problem solving.

Classic! :lol:

I also never cease to be amazed at the complicated and impractical solutions people come up with to execute simple tasks.

Now to probably stick my foot in it, I have wondered ( but never got around to trying) If dry fire wood were able to absorb some oil if it were soaked in it for a while or even boiled in it.

Would the wood absorb any of the oil to give it more energy when burnt?
Whenever I have any oil that is not worth setting aside for wvo or bio making, I always throw it on the wood pile in the hopes it may soak in and be of some use one way or another.

I have a wood fired Pizza oven it is amazing just how much quicker it heats up and how much less wood can be used just giving the fire a squirt of oil now and then from a 2L coke bottle with a small hole drilled in the top.

The amount of energy WVO has is quite amazing considering it is for most, a waste product.

I don't give a damn about what might or could happen until a significant group of people can tell me it HAS happened to them.
Until then, it's just more endless gloom and doom Veg folk law.
David

OT pizza oven

Postby 240Volvo » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:46 am

How does the oven smell with the oil added? Does the food taste different?

Back to the regularly scheduled topic, sorry Geo.!
1984 Volvo 240 diesel with a single tank Elsbett conversion: electric fuel filter heater, FPHE, glow plugs, and injectors. Also injector line heaters and block heater, running 20%kero/80%WVO winter blend.
240Volvo

Postby Oiler » Wed May 20, 2009 4:47 am

Hello all, this is my first post.
I have a pellet fired boiler and have been mixing in vegoil, engine oil and even paint thinner....the latter was accidenly, but nothing happened:-) since 2007.
I just pour the oil over the pellets in the tank.
Try it, just don't use too much oil to begin with 1/2 gall. in 50 pounds of pellets.
Oiler

Postby coachgeo » Thu May 21, 2009 2:33 pm

Oiler wrote:Hello all, this is my first post.
I have a pellet fired boiler and have been mixing in vegoil, ... but nothing happened:-) since 2007.
I just pour the oil over the pellets in the tank.
Try it, just don't use too much oil to begin with 1/2 gall. in 50 pounds of pellets.
interesting info. Much thanx.

One of the goals is to use the supply of waste paper towls I have thus the idea of not using store bought pellets. Might be better to start that way though.

So pouring oil over a 50lb bunch of oil has not caused the mechanisims that feed the pellets to gunk up... interesting.

Do you pour on new oil only after hopper is refilled after totaly gone empty or do you refill when hopper is half full or??? How often do you refill and how often does your boiler get used? Just trying to figure out how long your oil soaks into the pellets before they get feed into the fire.

Got any recommendations for a "SMALL" pellet fired boiler?

coachgeo

Postby Oiler » Tue May 26, 2009 3:20 am

It is a 15 kw boiler with a 400 lb hopper.
I usually pour oil over every 50 or so lb, not important how often you fill it.

I heat two houses and heat water for 14 people for three years now... no problems.

Just start with a little oil and see for yourself, it is a bit difficult for me to explain in English.
Oiler

Postby Oiler » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:49 am

How are things going?

Have you tried to add oil to your pellets?
Oiler

Postby coachgeo » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:42 am

attempting to collect money for pelet stove but my hopes are not high. My biz is failing in this economy. Money goes out faster than coming in.

coachgeo

Return to Vegetable Oil Space Heating