paper towles, Pellets, Meat grinder??

Space Heating with SVO WVO Vegetable Oil Biofuel.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

paper towles, Pellets, Meat grinder??

Postby coachgeo » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:41 pm

crazy idea... I know, Im full of them and some think Im full of shiat because of it..... butttt anyway.

I have lot of paper towle waste at my biz. hate to waste it.

What about.....

. soak it in WVO (maybe run paper towles thru a paper shredder first?)

. Mush it up till it looks like hamburger meat

. run yucky soacked material thru a meat grinder

. Slice it into pellet sizes as it exits grinder? (not sure how meat grinder works .. this may/may not be possible

. dry the material and store for winter use in a pellet stove. (dry? can it be dried?)

Why pellet stove and not paper soaked bricks? Hopper of a pellet stove gives you a little more feed control, and they have thermostate controls etc as well as the nice ones with built in water heat exchangers etc.

but... pellets might leach oil sitting in the hopper.... that question addressed in another thread, Pellet Stove Question.

Anyone got a meat grinder to test the idea of paper towl waste soaked and put thru a grinder? I'll keep my eyes open for one localy
Life; It's all in the Balance

coachgeo

Postby BMW Fan » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:14 am

Papier Brikett Presse / Paper brick press

Maybe John Galt is willing to sell his ?
I sold a few to a colleague of John. Read John’s comment :
A colleague bought a few from you [I saw the box and invoice from you] and sold one to me. Very nice product BTW.

Rings a bell ? :twisted:

BMW Fan

PS : I do not sell a Paper Brick Press nor do I sell 10 plate FPHE’s
BMW Fan

Postby coachgeo » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:31 pm

have had conversations on here (or was it infopop) about the paper brick press. I like that idea too.

Like said in opening post though... there is more advantages to a pellet stove.

as to your tiff with JG, lets not waste our time on that. Serves no purpose to the rest of us. Vent on your own time please.

coachgeo

Postby David » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:00 pm

If you used oil instead of water to pulp the paper, It would save drying time. Just let the excess oil drain off and they would be ready to go.
Not sure how well logs or bricks would bind with oil though?
One easy way to find out!

I don't give a damn about what might or could happen until a significant group of people can tell me it HAS happened to them.
Until then, it's just more endless gloom and doom Veg folk law.
David

Postby John Galt » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:11 pm

This is better than mixing the oil with sawdust or whatever absorbent flammable material then packing it into free, empty, milk cartons? All one needs is a mixing container and a garden trowel. Simple, easy, cost effective. No special stove needed, just open the door of a well built airtight woodstove with a firebrick lined combustion chamber, and toss the 'oil brick' into a well burning wood fire. What could be easier ; why make things any more complex than they need to be?

Do you actually do anything with used VO after all these years besides using it as a conversation theme?
John Galt

Postby coachgeo » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:33 pm

sorry life moves slow for me, lot of time to contemplate, little time for hands on action... can only move at the speed life allows. (60-80hr work weeks, previously dieing parents to keep watch over till they passed FAMILY COMES FIRST.. now a business after moving, which is now diening due to the economy, but my students are my family and as said before.... family comes first ..... but frankly that's none of your freaking business!!!!!!

ok.. now back to topic

Paper Brick, or Paper Log has less control was my thoughts. Particularly when it comes to thermostate control. Thus this discussion on PELLET stoves which have thermostats and auto feed of combustables. If I recall right John you have more experience with these animals than I. Maybe that thermostate control is not of that much value? I am home now very few hours, and only few days a week, mostly just enough to sleep then leave. usually I stay in my office. For home would rather have thermostat control. I don't rise from bed well in the cold.

David.. have no intentions of using water in the formation of PELLETS. If I go Paper brick/log, will not use it there either. Would use WVO in place of where water is typically used in formation of the burn material.

Plan is to build this over the summer and thruout the summer; if experements pan out, form pellets to prepare for winter. I'll likely be bankrupt by then so Im preparing now for ruff times. A huge reason Im preparing my tiny home and shop to be off the grid.

If anyone gets a chance and have experience in Pellet stoves please do pop over to the thread I started about the temps their hoppers reach.(is hopper the right term?)

coachgeo

Postby John Galt » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:55 am

Paper towels could be easily stuffed into empty milk cartons then saturated with used PHO. These would make excellent fuel bricks in a well made woodstove.
Last edited by John Galt on Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Galt

Postby David » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:46 am

John Galt wrote:This is better than mixing the oil with sawdust or whatever absorbent flammable material then packing it into free, empty, milk cartons?

Well, one problem I would have with that is that the only cartons that milk comes in here is the flavored variety in 300Ml size. We don't buy any of those.
The 3-4L of milk we go through a day in this house comes in 3L Plastic bottles and I don't think they would make great fire bricks.
They would also be mongrels to put the sawdust into through the little 1" hole as well. :?

I don't give a damn about what might or could happen until a significant group of people can tell me it HAS happened to them.
Until then, it's just more endless gloom and doom Veg folk law.
David

Postby John Galt » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:23 pm

I can get all the free empty milk cartons I need from the recycle depot. Using waste VO is only for the imaginative and resourceful people who can think outside the box. The rest can stay with their regularly scheduled programming.
John Galt

Postby coachgeo » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:35 pm

I can get all the waste paper towl I need... right from each bathroom where my students throw it out after washing their hands like good little kids. Course like kids allways do.. they take more than they need to dry their hands.

Thus.. I could get a good year round supply besides.. since I have to buy the paper towels they use.... I might as well collect it and use it for fuel to get maximum use of my dollar.

coachgeo

Postby John Galt » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:33 pm

What is done with the used fryer oil from the school cafeteria?
John Galt

Postby coachgeo » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:27 pm

I do not work for a school. I own my own sports school (gymnastic sports)

Most schools have contracts for their oil just like large resturants.

coachgeo

Re: paper towles, Pellets, Meat grinder??

Postby Jane Simmons » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:30 am

coachgeo wrote:crazy idea... I know, Im full of them and some think Im full of shiat because of it..... butttt anyway.

I have lot of paper towle waste at my biz. hate to waste it.

What about.....

. soak it in WVO (maybe run paper towles thru a paper shredder first?)

. Mush it up till it looks like hamburger meat

. run yucky soacked material thru a meat grinder

. Slice it into pellet sizes as it exits grinder? (not sure how meat grinder works .. this may/may not be possible

. dry the material and store for winter use in a pellet stove. (dry? can it be dried?)

Why pellet stove and not paper soaked bricks? Hopper of a pellet stove gives you a little more feed control, and they have thermostate controls etc as well as the nice ones with built in water heat exchangers etc.

but... pellets might leach oil sitting in the hopper.... that question addressed in another thread, Pellet Stove Question.

Anyone got a meat grinder to test the idea of paper towl waste soaked and put thru a grinder? I'll keep my eyes open for one localy

Whoa! That's bold. I would recommend the Sunmile SM-G31 ETL Electric Meat Grinder Mincer 1HP 800W Max Stainless Steel Cutting Blade, 3 Stainless Steel Grinding Plates,3 Sausage Stuffer Makers. It's quite strong but affordable incase the papers clog or destroy it, it won't leave you too big a hole in your pockets! Good luck :)
Jane Simmons

Return to Vegetable Oil Space Heating