Simple centrifuge on the road?

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Simple centrifuge on the road?

Postby mcbg » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:44 pm

I have been using a Simple Centrifuge for about a year and would like to take it on the road.
What do you think about bolting it down to the bed of the truck and running it while driving? I could run it through the CF multiple times in case of spill over in the bowl, because of the motion of the truck. I will have a generator in the trailer or the bed of the truck if it will all fit.

I also thought about running it while parked but I would like to be sleeping and the generator is loud, also I would like to check on it and clean it every couple of hours.

It had been mentioned to use a gimbal they use on ships for the compass, the largest one I find is for fishing boat chairs, I am pretty sure these would not support the CF, maybe 2 or 3 gimbals- if they work in multiples?

Any ideas
Thanks
mcbg

Postby coachgeo » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:37 pm

yeah gimple would be great.

Might can just hang it few inches off the truck bed from a Tpee frame and put a few light sprung bunge cords attached below it to act as a shock absorber so it wont start occilating/swining back and forth. Bungee might encourage it to seek center instead of swiniging.

some guys have hung their Acme Juicer centrifuge experments to help them seek ballance. Though for different reasons than driving.
Life; It's all in the Balance

coachgeo

Postby dragonfly » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:48 am

I have been using the Simple CF for over 2 yrs now and am very satisfied with the results of clean VO and removing water content - from 675ppm down to 75 ppm. I've been putting some thoughts on paper as to components: two aluminum low profile rectangle tanks (one with a 200 micron sock filter), a Shureflow 12 VDC pump to supply the somewhat filtered raw oil to the CF and the second aluminum tank for the CF'd oil, a 1500 watt inverter to run a 1/3 hp AC motor. I don't see a problem with the movement of the trk over freeway roads in relation to the 3450 rpm the CF bowl and splashing out (panic stops or around curves). In my stationary CF setup, I can recirculate the oil through the Simple CF many time if need be. I am planning to plumb the mobile system so the oil can be recirculaed. From my experience with waste oil, I think stopping for a potty break will be all the CF can handle with junk in the bowl before it has to be cleaned out. When stopped for the night, the CF can be plugged into an AC outlet at the campground. I have a 12 VDC pump/despencing hose/handle and plan to use it to gather WVO from the restaurants.
dragonfly

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering