Venting WVO Tank

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Venting WVO Tank

Postby paulkrohn1 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:09 pm

I installed a 19 gal RCI tank for my WVO system and it has a roll over check valve. Is this valve sufficient for venting the WVO tank? I'm using the Hotfox so, there is a pick up tube and return port I could use as well. I think I remember reading SunWizard taking the roll over vent apart and installing a stem valve similar to what you would find on a rim.

And ...will an oil pressure gauge work for monitoring my fuel pressure? The fuel gauges are considerably more expensive. I'm not a big fan of routing 180 degree WVO line inside the cab. Will the PEX 1/8 inch line stand up to the heat?

Thanks in advance for your time.
98 12 Valve, BHAF, Fuel Plate, conversion in-process
paulkrohn1

Re: Venting WVO Tank

Postby SunWizard » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:14 pm

paulkrohn1 wrote:I installed a 19 gal RCI tank for my WVO system and it has a roll over check valve. Is this valve sufficient for venting the WVO tank?

No.
I'm using the Hotfox so, there is a pick up tube and return port I could use as well. I think I remember reading SunWizard taking the roll over vent apart and installing a stem valve similar to what you would find on a rim.

The vent port I used for one of the 2 coolant lines, see my post under converted vehicles here. This saves the large cost of a hotfox and it heats better since it warms a circle 6" in diameter around the bottom of the pickup. The tire valve stem with core removed is in another hole I drilled for the vent.
And ...will an oil pressure gauge work for monitoring my fuel pressure?

Yes my cheap one has worked great for 35k miles/ 3 years so far.
I'm not a big fan of routing 180 degree WVO line inside the cab. Will the PEX 1/8 inch line stand up to the heat?

Yes, the motor oil its designed for gets far hotter than VO. You should put a needle valve on it to stop pulses, so even in a worst case problem if you completely broke the hose off, you would get a tiny drip of VO which wouldn't be hot with that small amount.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion