Do Cf's Remove the Brown sediment.

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Do Cf's Remove the Brown sediment.

Postby David » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:26 am

A local guy has set himself up with a Diesel craft Centrifuge and reports he is still getting the brown sediment in the bottom of his finished oil tanks.

I would have thought a Cf would have removed this and it was the one single reason I would consider buying one myself.
Is there something wrong with the technique he is using or do other people get this too and Cf's cant get rid of this fine sediment either?

I don't give a damn about what might or could happen until a significant group of people can tell me it HAS happened to them.
Until then, it's just more endless gloom and doom Veg folk law.
David

Postby BMW Fan » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:50 am

Hi David,

to answer your question it needs more detailed info.
How big are these particles ?
After using my Centrifuge Cart for about 4 hrs I do not see any particles.
If I let it settle for some time there is some “ silt”, very fine particles which are not effecting anything.

BMW Fan
BMW Fan

Postby David » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:46 am

Hi Bmw,

I purposefully didn't put details up of how this fellow uses his CF because I'm not so interested in if he is doing it right ( which I believe he is) but rather to see if others also get the silt after they have used a CF.

He too says the Filters are OK and don't get blocked with this fine leftover stuff, but I'm mainly interested in seeing if CF's on the whole will get rid of this silt or not and if maybe one type do and another type does not. :D

I don't give a damn about what might or could happen until a significant group of people can tell me it HAS happened to them.
David

Postby SunWizard » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:32 am

David wrote:Hi Bmw,

I purposefully didn't put details up of how this fellow uses his CF because I'm not so interested in if he is doing it right ( which I believe he is) but rather to see if others also get the silt after they have used a CF.

He too says the Filters are OK and don't get blocked with this fine leftover stuff, but I'm mainly interested in seeing if CF's on the whole will get rid of this silt or not and if maybe one type do and another type does not. :D

How well it works depends on how he runs it. Variations in temp, pressure, and how the barrel is plumbed all will affect it. The big variable is the number of passes. More passes = finer micron level removal. So the silt he is seeing is the particles smaller than the micron level he is going to. No filter removes every particle, they remove some % of particles above a specified size. A CF will remove particles smaller than most filters, down to 0.1 micron, but it takes large numbers of passes to get there.

We can't answer your question "is there something wrong with his technique" without knowing any details.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby BMW Fan » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:50 pm

The silt particles ( at least what I have seen under a microscope) are .1 or smaller.

The principle of all this oil driven centrifuge are the same.
So, all of them leave “ silt”.

That said, there are big differences in manufacturers specs.
Most important for US American customers is that the seller shows the American flag.
I aim for the best supplier for my money.

BMW Fan
BMW Fan

Postby David » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:25 am

SunWizard wrote:
David wrote:
We can't answer your question "is there something wrong with his technique" without knowing any details.

Fair enough.

Let me rephrase the question:

Do people whom clean their oil with a centrifuge, find it removes all traces of silt from their finished oil or do they ever see some in the bottom of their finished oil containers?

That's what I really should have asked I think and best answers what I really would like to find out. :oops:

Most important for US American customers is that the seller shows the American flag.

I sure can believe that.
I hope they don't buy Diesel craft for that reason.
They are made a couple of KM down the road from where I live in Sydney Australia by another company and DC then import and market them under their own Moniker.... Cheaper ( even with currency conversion taken into account) than what we can buy them here.
:x

David

Postby biovindiesel » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:10 pm

David wrote:They are made...by another company and...import and market them under their own Moniker :x

That is the popular US model for marketing/sales.
Okay by me as long as I'm not waiving rights with my flag.
~Cv
biovindiesel

cf sediment

Postby gary » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:47 am

What I have been doing is trying not to fill my vo tank straight from the the cf but rather into new cubies or 5gal fuel containers and let that fine stuff settle out. As you pour that into your vo tank days latter you look into the stream of vo while its pouring and toward the bottom you will see the sediment appearand that is when you stop pouring and you can re cf that along with next batch. Hope this makes my filters last longer.
gary

Postby SunWizard » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:03 pm

David wrote:Do people whom clean their oil with a centrifuge, find it removes all traces of silt from their finished oil or do they ever see some in the bottom of their finished oil containers?

SunWizard wrote: No filter removes every particle

I find the CF removes particles much smaller than any other filter I have tried (1 micron absolute.) Yes some of those tiny particles will settle if I leave the VO sit for a very long time.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby David » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:50 pm

SunWizard wrote:I find the CF removes particles much smaller than any other filter I have tried (1 micron absolute.) Yes some of those tiny particles will settle if I leave the VO sit for a very long time.

It sounds like you are still getting some particles but less than I have.
Normally I only get a very light deposit in my fuel drums but recently I had what I considered way too much. I think I found the problem in that I accidentally put some oil in my processor that had not been settled very long. I'll tag all my IBC's from no on with the date so I don't suffer that particular brain fade again.

Usually, with the long settling times I have been using, the sediment has been minimal but I would have liked to eliminate completely from the bottom of my fuel drums which usually have a settling time as I do my oil in batches, generally over a months supply at a time.

What gets me is the fact that this stuff seems to pass through 5 and 1 Um filters with no trouble but then clogs on board filters that have a larger rating than the ones the oil was put through originally!

I have installed another IBC in my system just for the cleaned oil so hopefully any remaining particles can drop out in there and with another chance to drop in the fuel drums as well, this may lessen what I am getting in the fuel system of the vehicle.

I would have thought that using a CF would have eliminated this sediment and I appreciate the feedback of those that have given me the heads up as to the reality of the situation. Given how well my current setup is working at no cost, a CF wouldn't be of much help to me.

Once again, doing nothing with the oil seems to be the most effective, efficient and labor saving way of cleaning oil for my needs.

David

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion