Dieselcraft + dewatering

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Dieselcraft + dewatering

Postby big_mike » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:15 pm

Hi Guys,
After a very long gestation period I am finally running my first batches through the DC.

I keep reading about flash evaporation at relatively low temperature (60 deg C seems common) yet I am not observing any puffs of steam even at much higher temps. I seem to have to empty a cup of water every half hour from the rotor until the oil goes from milky to clear and dark.

Any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong?
big_mike

Postby SunWizard » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Do you have low humidity, and your barrel somewhere you can look across the outlet of the CF in full sunlight? I need both to be able to see the vapor, and I need to be positioned just right, so you could draw a line from me-CF-Sun. You might be able to simulate that with a very bright light positioned just right by trial and error.

I see puffs of vapor starting at 120F (if the VO has any water). And the vapor is a good easy indicator of when the water is gone, it always passes the HPT. Once the VO is clear, it can still have water that only shows in a hot pan test, so thats not a good indicator.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby big_mike » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:12 am

Just for clarity, yes I do HPT everything. What I was getting at is that when the oil is milky (an emulsion?) you know there is water in there.

Will this method of dewatering (Flash) still occur if the rotor is full of water? And does any cleaning take place whilst the rotor is full of water? I am just trying to get a feel for how much I need to nanny the process. I did a very small batch yesterday (about 40 litres) and had to empty the rotor of water about half a dozen times. I would happily trade a longer cycle time for emptying the rotor less.

Many thanks,

Mike
big_mike

Postby SunWizard » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:01 am

big_mike wrote:Will this method of dewatering (Flash) still occur if the rotor is full of water?

Yes.
And does any cleaning take place whilst the rotor is full of water?

Yes but not as much since the VO has shorter time in the rotor.
I am just trying to get a feel for how much I need to nanny the process. I did a very small batch yesterday (about 40 litres) and had to empty the rotor of water about half a dozen times. I would happily trade a longer cycle time for emptying the rotor less.

Simple solution: Don't pump from the bottom of a barrel into the CF and you won't get so much water.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby big_mike » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:57 am

SunWizard wrote:Simple solution: Don't pump from the bottom of a barrel into the CF and you won't get so much water.

On the evidence of the last batch that seems to be the ticket :wink:
big_mike

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering