Interesting angle on things...

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Interesting angle on things...

Postby Scuffy » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:48 am

Hi guys! I've been a very avid lurker for the past year, gaining and putting all of this info to good use. I'm in the process of building a Detroit Diesel 3-53 powered '73 CJ5 and have decent access to about 50 gals of WVO per week... so this seemed very natural!

I have a question though. I haven't really found an answer anywhere on the net for this. And I apologize if it is off topic- this is to a large degree about collecting so this seemed like the right area of the forum...

This question has been sitting in the back of my head for a long time and hopefully you gents may have some insight for me! For a number of years in my teens I was in Boy Scouts and we did a great many backpacking trips in Western Pennsylvania on one of the other family's properties. They have two VERY old oil wells on their property that they don't utilize. The prior owners said they'd dried up too much to use. About three years ago on a trip we opened a valve and were greeted by a wonderfully clear fresh crude oil. This was about the color of a brand new motor oil. Honey colored but with only very a slight smell of gasoline (along with a slight bluish tint). I was wondering if any of this could be added or blended with WVO and filtered for use? The folks that own the wells are long time friends and they said that I could use whatever I'd like. Good idea... Bad idea?
"Too soon we get old, too late we get smart."
Scuffy

Postby John Galt » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:31 pm

Good idea.
John Galt

Postby djenkins6 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:35 pm

It might run OK but wouldn't this be a bad idea environmentally. I would think it's not much better than used engine oil or am I missing something.
1981 300SD
1989 Dodge D250 Cummins
djenkins6

Postby Scuffy » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:34 am

I had contemplated this but it appears, as mentioned before, almost crystal clear like honey or like a Karo syrup. It really is gorgeous and interesting to thing that something coming straight out of the ground is that clear. I can't get off work to drive the 3 hours way any time in the next month or two but if I do make it over there- I will bring back a bottle for experimentation.

If anything it would probably come down to viscosity rather than particulates and such. I'll filter it out with a 10 a 5 and maybe a 1 micron cartridge and post up the results. Blending with WVO to obtain the desired viscosity may very well be an option. Although I don't even remember how thick or thin the stuff was... Oh well!
"Too soon we get old, too late we get smart."
Scuffy

Postby 240Volvo » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:19 am

Let a sample stand for a while to see if it separates. Chill a sample to see how it reacts at different temperatures. If you need to thin it with WVO (it is usually the other way around), then you might think twice about this.
1984 Volvo 240 diesel with a single tank Elsbett conversion: electric fuel filter heater, FPHE, glow plugs, and injectors. Also injector line heaters and block heater, running 20%kero/80%WVO winter blend.
240Volvo

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering