Temp Gauges

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Temp Gauges

Postby paulkrohn1 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:50 pm

Having some trouble with the temp gauge install. The brass fitting 1/2" x 1/4" NPT also has a seat area were the prob mates to. I'm not able to tighten the temp sensor enough to stop the VO from leaking. ( autozone mechanical gauge) One possible solution is to drill out the seating area so the fastener will thread onto the threaded bushing further. Then I may run the risk of bottoming out the prob on the bottom of the brass tee. Any suggestions?

Also what are you guys using for approved clear VO line to check for vacuum leaks? Would like to place it permanently to check on the VO every once in awhile. I would like to place a clear inline filter before the IP but haven't found anything that will take the temps.
98 12 Valve, BHAF, Fuel Plate, conversion in-process
paulkrohn1

Postby knoxbiobenz » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:21 pm

I bought a temp gauge from autozone and the cheap brass fitting gave out on me when I was putting the death lock on it. I just took it back w/ the receipt and exchanged it.

As far as the clear fuel line vs clear inline filter.
I simply use a MB clear inline filter. It seems to handle the temps fine but the main problem w/ it is that it is 5/16".
You can pick them up for $4 from Autozone or pay $2 from www.autohausaz.com
1995 Dodge Cummins 2500, 194,xxx miles
2- Tank System Designed from Sun's
25,000 VO miles

1984 MB 300D- Sold
1983 MB 300TD- Sold
1980 MB 300SD- Sold
knoxbiobenz

Postby paulkrohn1 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:13 am

Thanks..I'll return it and start over if my modification by drilling does not work. I'll also check out the MB filter as well. I've had no problem fitting the 3/8 hose a 5/16 barb using proper clamps.

How is your CTD running? I've read your threads when you were converting and I can now feel your pain. I was more of a project than I had hope for.

I tested my VO side this morning for the first time using D2 in the VO tank. It switched over nice and smooth. Now to get the temp gauge in and filler up with veggy.

Let me know the run times on your selector valves when you switch back to D2. And how long you wait to turn the return valve back to D2 when switching from VO.
paulkrohn1

Postby SunWizard » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:25 am

paulkrohn1 wrote:Let me know the run times on your selector valves when you switch back to D2. And how long you wait to turn the return valve back to D2 when switching from VO.

From here:
http://www.burnveg.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28
To purge the VO from the lines before shutdown, I turn the tank valve to diesel, wait about 20 seconds which clears the lift pump and lines to the filter valve. Then I turn the filter valve to diesel, wait another 20 seconds for the IP and lines to clear, then turn the return valve to diesel. Then wait another minute or 2 before shutdown. This clears any VO out of the system.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby paulkrohn1 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:17 pm

Thank you Sir... Ok, waiting 20 second after turning the tank valve to D2 clears the lift pump to the filter valve. Why wouldn't you want to purge the VO filter and the lines to the IP with D2 before switching the filter valve?

I would think the IP would still draw small amounts of VO from the VO filter and associated lines? Plus in colder temps wouldn't the VO filter form the a wax substance that I've read about and clog the filter?
paulkrohn1

Postby SunWizard » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:14 pm

paulkrohn1 wrote:Thank you Sir... Ok, waiting 20 second after turning the tank valve to D2 clears the lift pump to the filter valve. Why wouldn't you want to purge the VO filter and the lines to the IP with D2 before switching the filter valve?

That would use a lot more time and D2 and isn't needed. The lines to the IP are purged during the "another 20 seconds for the IP and lines to clear."
I would think the IP would still draw small amounts of VO from the VO filter and associated lines?

No, that line is blocked by the valve, so no flow.
Plus in colder temps wouldn't the VO filter form the a wax substance that I've read about and clog the filter?

That gets melted by the heated filter during the warm up period before switchover. At switchover, there is 160F VO going into the filter right away.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby paulkrohn1 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:08 pm

Thanks again... One more on this...So, I can be reasonably sure there will be no cross contamination if I wait at least one minute before unlooping and switching the return valve sending the D2 back to the tank.
paulkrohn1

Postby SunWizard » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:40 pm

paulkrohn1 wrote:Thanks again... One more on this...So, I can be reasonably sure there will be no cross contamination if I wait at least one minute before unlooping and switching the return valve sending the D2 back to the tank.

That depends on how you plumbed it, length of hoses, etc. Best is to time it yourself. If you wait too long you can get D2 in your VO tank, which isn't as bad as the opposite.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion