Rust in rci filler neck

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Rust in rci filler neck

Postby gary » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:56 am

Sun, I have the same rci tank you have from summit and noticed today the when I removed the fill cap the inside of the neck was all rusted. I cleaned off, and continued my finger down and around onto the flat which makes the top inside of the tank...just a couple square inches and it was all water dropplets, rust and what I think was polymerzation...looked like jelly. So I am going to see if summit has a aluminum replacement or could I remove clean and paint with a special coating? What did you do?
gary

Re: Rust in rci filler neck

Postby SunWizard » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:54 pm

gary wrote:Sun, I have the same rci tank you have from summit and noticed today the when I removed the fill cap the inside of the neck was all rusted. I cleaned off, and continued my finger down and around onto the flat which makes the top inside of the tank...just a couple square inches and it was all water dropplets, rust and what I think was polymerzation...looked like jelly. So I am going to see if summit has a aluminum replacement or could I remove clean and paint with a special coating? What did you do?

My filler neck has no rust after 3 years of use.

It sounds like you are using VO with water in it, have you done a hot pan test on each batch of VO you use? Water will damage more than your filler neck, and an IP is much more expensive.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

condensate

Postby gary » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:29 pm

Yes I always hpt and I never see any tiny bubbles let alone splattering. I do have a full return however and is it possible that the water that I see is from condensate...hot oil cold metal?
gary

Re: condensate

Postby SunWizard » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:36 pm

gary wrote:I do have a full return however and is it possible that the water that I see is from condensate...hot oil cold metal?

Hot oil doesn't create water, it must be in your VO, or coming in your tank vent if you live in a very humid climate.

Did you do your HPT from the lowest point in the barrel you are pumping from? How do you dewater?

The solution isn't to change your tank filler but figure out where the water is coming from and eliminate it.
SunWizard
Site Admin

condensate

Postby gary » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:01 am

When I am cf'ing and ready to finish it off I use a big spoon to catch some of the bypass which is being drawn from the "lowest part" of the drum to be hpt'ed.

I remember reading plenty of discusions of plastic tanks being preferred or use of some type of bladder to prevent condensate problems, especially in tanks not topped off regulary.

What your saying is hot vo with no h2o will not form condensate against cold metal in a closed container(tank) if it is commonly less than half full?
gary

Postby SunWizard » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:56 am

gary wrote: What your saying is hot vo with no h2o will not form condensate against cold metal in a closed container(tank) if it is commonly less than half full?

Correct.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby hheynow » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:24 am

SunWizard wrote:
gary wrote: What your saying is hot vo with no h2o will not form condensate against cold metal in a closed container(tank) if it is commonly less than half full?

Correct.

So taking this one step further, can one assume that any fuel (D2, B20, B50, B100, kerosene or VO) stored in a closed tank will not form condensation? Even a vehicle that sits for months with a half a tank? I really thought differently.
FOR SALE: 1997 Ford F-350 7.3L PSD - Plant Drive kit
1984 Mercedes Euro 300D NA - Custom two tank
Running on used plant oil and biodiesel since May 2006
hheynow

Postby John Galt » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:33 am

How many 'closed tanks' are actually sealed and not vented?
John Galt

Postby hheynow » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:48 am

John Galt wrote:How many 'closed tanks' are actually sealed and not vented?

On a vehicle none except Jerry cans but my 275 gal VO totes are sealed but not vented.
hheynow

Postby John Galt » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:15 pm

can one assume that any fuel (D2, B20, B50, B100, kerosene or VO) stored in a closed tank will not form condensation?
If it's completely dry and there is no moist air present, then where would condensation come from?
John Galt

Postby hheynow » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:28 pm

Condensation forms when the air temp drops enough to not be able to hold the moisture in the air...like at night. Why then would this not occur in a vented fuel tank? Once the condensation forms into water droplets they will run down the inside of the tank and then fall to the bottom of the fuel. I can only see this happening to a vehicle that is parked for an extended period of time as it takes many condensation cycles to build up enough moisture to be noticed.
hheynow

Postby John Galt » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:23 pm

Why then would this not occur in a vented fuel tank?
Of course it would, DOH... That's what the discussion has been saying.
John Galt

Postby SunWizard » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:57 pm

hheynow wrote:Why then would this not occur in a vented fuel tank?

It can occur, in limited climates as I said above. Its a good reason if you live in a humid and cold enough climate that condensate forms, to keep your tank and storage barrels full. Hot VO going back to the tank would make slightly less condensate form since the tank would be warmer and less likely to reach the dew point. Or keep the car in a garage for the same reason.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion