WVO tank is filling with D2

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

WVO tank is filling with D2

Postby paulkrohn1 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:22 pm

Ok..brief summary before getting to my problem. I plumbed everything according to SunWizards diagram. I ran the truck for a few days on D2 with no problems. I put a few gallons of D2 mixed with two cycle oil to time my purge. Then I realized placing the site glass before the IP supply line Tee will not help me time the purge. Because if I wait 20 seconds I only purge to the filter valve not all the way through the VO filter. Ok..back on track. I was able to switch back and forth from both tanks with no problem. I could see the blue colored fuel in the site glass when on the VO side. I then filled the VO tank with WVO. I ran it down the road until at proper temps then switched over. It ran with out any problems. I ran it through your purge times then I opened up the tool box in which my VO tank is placed and noticed I had about a gallon of VO on the bottom.

Cleaned up my mess and ran it on D2 with no leaks. Switched over once again with no leaks. I stopped and turn my tank valve to D2 then opened up the tool box and noticed VO coming out of the roll over valve and the tank breather valve stem. For some reason when I switch back to D2 it sends D2 to the VO tank. I traced out the plumbing and made sure I'm turning the valves the right direction but nothing seems to work.

Any help with this VO tank filling with D2 would be appreciated. It's got me stumped.
98 12 Valve, BHAF, Fuel Plate, conversion in-process
paulkrohn1

Postby SunWizard » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:02 pm

Where is your return valve pointing?

If plumbed right, the only way to get D2 into the VO tank is if you leave the return valve set to VO for purging too long.

If you have a full VO tank and haven't consumed any VO by driving at least 10 miles, then purge right away and send a half gallon of VO/D2 blend back to the tank. In normal operation, that quart or half gallon of purge is straight VO that you want back in the VO tank. If you leave the return valve set to VO for purging too long, you get about 1 gpm of D2 (depending on your RPM) into your VO tank. Same with any system that has a purge.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby paulkrohn1 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:15 pm

Good points...The tank was filled to the filler neck and driving short trips and possibly purging too long I didn't see any consumption and over filled my tank. Driving home this morning after an hour I did a quick purge and that certainly helped. I didn't stop to think that once I turn the tank valve to D2 all the returning oil from the IP has to go somewhere...and it was back flushing into the VO tank. So, for 40 seconds or more before I turn the return valve and unloop I'm back flushing VO and possibly D2 back to my VO tank.

Now... I think I have a tank venting problem. I use a small tire stem with the internals removed. I loosened the tire stem cap to allow air to move in and out of the tank. However, it doesn't seem to be working well. I've noticed the pressure building after switching my tank valve to D2. I then open the filler cap to relieve the pressure. I may try a larger valve stem. Do you ever get any VO spilling out of the tire stem? and any ideas for venting my tank without allowing the oil to escape.

Thanks in advance for your help.
paulkrohn1

Postby John Galt » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:38 pm

any ideas for venting my tank without allowing the oil to escape.

Honeywell Braukman EA122 A 1002 Automatic Air Vent or equivalent
John Galt

Postby SunWizard » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:44 pm

paulkrohn1 wrote:Do you ever get any VO spilling out of the tire stem? and any ideas for venting my tank without allowing the oil to escape.

No, I press fit a 3/8" x 18" hose on the valve stem. Then I put a piece of steel wool in the end of it to prevent dust/bugs from getting in.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby paulkrohn1 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:45 pm

Thanks you two...

A few more thoughts...
It take about five miles to reach operating temp at 70 degrees outside. Is this the norm for the CTD?

Switching to VO at operating temps I'm getting just under 170 degrees on the outlet of the FPHE with little insulation which is just before the IP. I realize there is a short section of fuel hose before the tee to the IP supply line that is not heated. Is this a concern sending the few ounces of unheated VO to the IP?

Would you suggest waiting 20 second to switch the return valve upon switching to VO? That way the D2 has been moved out of the IP at the return line goes to the D2 tank and not looped back to the IP now being supplied my VO.

Is there any reason not to blend a few gallons of D2 in with my VO tank to help thin out the VO?

Is there any harm in running the VO temps higher than 180 before the IP? I think I can get ten to twenty more degrees when I insulate my VO lines.
Again, thanks for te timely responds.
paulkrohn1

Postby SunWizard » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:21 pm

paulkrohn1 wrote:A few more thoughts...
It take about five miles to reach operating temp at 70 degrees outside. Is this the norm for the CTD?

Yes.
Switching to VO at operating temps I'm getting just under 170 degrees on the outlet of the FPHE with little insulation which is just before the IP. I realize there is a short section of fuel hose before the tee to the IP supply line that is not heated. Is this a concern sending the few ounces of unheated VO to the IP?

No since that gets blended with D2.
Would you suggest waiting 20 second to switch the return valve upon switching to VO? That way the D2 has been moved out of the IP at the return line goes to the D2 tank and not looped back to the IP now being supplied my VO.

No since if you switch them all together you get a slower transition to VO with a blend in the loop, this gives less thermal shock and less chance of any VO getting into the D2 tank. And its easier to switch them all together.
Is there any reason not to blend a few gallons of D2 in with my VO tank to help thin out the VO?

Extra cost, extra work, and should never be needed. Mine is fine down to -10F even with gravy-like PHO.
Is there any harm in running the VO temps higher than 180 before the IP? I think I can get ten to twenty more degrees when I insulate my VO lines.

No harm. Mine gets up to 200F sometimes.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion