Clogged VorMax???

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Clogged VorMax???

Postby Woody2500 » Tue May 19, 2009 12:58 am

First time on the board and of course I have an issue that I'm dealing with. Here are the specs:

1998 Dodge Cummins (12V) 4x4, 2 tank system, Vormax w/ Baldwin BF1212, Vegtherm Mega, Pollock valve, HnH, 50 gal alum tank, looped return...

So here's the deal: I'm about 500 miles into a 1000 mi trip. Truck pulling well. I stop for a bit to refill the tank with wvo (filtered to 10 micron). When I jump back on the freeway I loose power and start to stall. So I figure air leak, maybe something opened up when I stopped. Finish the trip on D2 :x

In tracking down the problem today I find a blockage in the system that seems to be in the heat exchanger in the VorMax body. I tried to blow out the body by running compressed up through opening in the filter "stud?" thinking the it would flow into the air-fuel seperator. Nothing not even air came out :? Seems blocked to me... I haven't torn it down completely and I'm not sure what I'll do when I do.

Anyone got any ideas here? I'm guessing the the heat exchanger body is occluded with gunk and nasties. Anybody got any ideas for a solvent to clean that stuff out? I'll take any input folks have...
Woody2500

Postby Woody2500 » Tue May 19, 2009 10:25 am

Update: So I got up and took a fresh look at the problem. You all know how things seem even weirder at 11:00pm working with a flashlight clenched in your teeth while laying in the driveway. Anyway, last night I was pulling and holding 10bar vacuum with a hand pump at the supply right before the 6 port valve. The gauge on the vormax showed the same. Changed the filter and same deal so I knew I had a blockage. This morning I ran compressed air through all sides of the system with the filter off and all seemed good. Reassembled and system primed like it should. Maybe there was a bit of nasty plugging up the fuel pick up in the tank? I didn't locate the offending bit of gunk but I'm sure it will rear its ugly head again in the the future. Gonna feed the beast in a few to see how it holds up.
Woody2500

Postby SunWizard » Tue May 19, 2009 11:07 am

Welcome to the forum. Thats a strange problem. It could be junk on the pickup, is there a screen on the pickup? Otherwise it would have to be a huge piece of junk which is rare. Another thing to check out is the pollock valve, they are known to stick and fail often on VO and maybe it wasn't fully in VO position?
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby hheynow » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:32 pm

Yeah that's a rare blockage. Rather than wait for it to reappear it's ugly head why not and add some kerosene? I don't see any VO tank heater in your list.
FOR SALE: 1997 Ford F-350 7.3L PSD - Plant Drive kit
1984 Mercedes Euro 300D NA - Custom two tank
Running on used plant oil and biodiesel since May 2006
hheynow

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion