How can I check my operating temp?

If new, go here first. Beginner questions, Forum help, suggestions and more FAQ.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

How can I check my operating temp?

Postby rabiddan1 » Sun May 31, 2009 5:01 pm

I want to know the cheapest/most reliable methods for checking temperature.

Ideally, I'll want to check temp in my Veg Fuel line, in at least a couple places, maybe more depending on the cost. NPT or some other threaded fittings would be ideal, and then I could just tie in to my fuel line at a "T".

I plan on mounting the monitor or dial somewhere remotely, so I think I'm looking at digital thermocouples or dial thermometers. I'm leaning towards the dial thermometers b/c they'll work without electrical power- but I can't find them for less than $80 off of Mcmaster...

Does anybody have suggestions for places to buy (or rummage for) temperature sensors? Anything will help-

cheers
~~~~~~Live Hard or Die Trying~~~~~~
rabiddan1

Postby SunWizard » Sun May 31, 2009 8:40 pm

A cheap $15, reliable way is with a coolant temp guage from any auto parts store. Get a 270 degree sweep one so its easier to read the small changes. I use a cheap infrared thermometer to check temps at anyplace.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby John Galt » Sun May 31, 2009 10:39 pm

Another inexpensive option is a digital meat roasting thermometer with a remote temperature probe.
If the probe is secured to a metal fuel line with a zip tie then covered with foam insulation it's going to read within a degree or so of the fuel temperature.
John Galt

Re: How can I check my operating temp?

Postby othello » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:52 pm

I find an LM35 DT sensor useful.
It is a small $2 integrated circuit with 3 legs which can be powered off the vehicle 12 volt system. Check at Digi Key or Mouser.
The IC needs nothing else, no calibration, nothing, except that you read the temperature with a millivoltmeter, 10mV per degree Celcius.
So a reading of 1 volt indicates 100 degrees celsius. The IC is also available calibrated in Fahrenheit.

You can stick several of these inexpensive devices where ever you need to know the temperature and use a selector switch and one millivoltmeter mounted in you dash.
othello

Return to Beginners section and FAQ