How long to spin

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

How long to spin

Postby Grif » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:29 pm

Hello all. I am new to this veggie thing (been spinning (OC-20) and running WVO in my F250 in a single tank for about 2 years in the summer time here in Wisconsin...mixing 50:50 of WVO and Dino).

My question how long to spin 45 gallons of WVO? I have always done shorter batches (25-35 gallons) and they have worked out great (can see the bottom of the 55 gallon drum with 30 gallons of WVO in it.) I heat the oil to ~160-170* and spin, after I see noting/very little in the rotor (and catching the flow though after the pump is shut off) I out it though a 1 micro spin on filter and then let sit. I then pump the clean oil (staying 2-3 inches off the bottom of the barrel and checked the pH of the oil and it was about 7.0) into my F250 tank and mix with dino. The thing is with this batch I have some thing white floating in the oil after 54 hours of spinning!! I looks like fat bit very thin chunks of fat. The last 4 hours I spun I did not get much on the rotor so I thought it was done, so today I went to pump it though the 1 micron spin on and saw the white floating chunks. The oil was about 95* and I tried to push it though my 1 micron spin on and it really was moving slow.

Am I right to think this is fat that is floating in there? This batch of oil was really dirty to start with but I thought the spinning took out most of the "gunk". When the oil is hot (~170*) I do not see the white chunks.

Sorry so long but anyone have any suggestions? :D
Grif

Postby SunWizard » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:17 pm

Welcome to the forum.

Yes that sounds like fat, it can be solid at 95F. The easiest way to remove it is cold settling for a few weeks.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby Grif » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:33 pm

Thanks...looks like I need to get more settling tanks. I am guessing that is what clogged my 1 micron filter then. Wonder if I push 170 * oil thought it if it will "unclog"?

Shouldn’t 54 hours be enough for 45 gallons with a OC-20 to get the water and non fat “gunk” out?
Grif

Postby WD8CDH » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:02 pm

Grif wrote:Thanks...looks like I need to get more settling tanks. I am guessing that is what clogged my 1 micron filter then. Wonder if I push 170 * oil thought it if it will "unclog"?

As long as you can get some flow, pushing 170 * oil thru the filter will probably unclog it but even 140 * would probably be enough.

I actually heat my filter at home, just like the fuel filter in my cars. I find heating the filter to be more effective than just heating the oil.

If you are single tanking, you might have to remove the fat with cold settling but if you have a good two tank system, leave in the fat. It has a higher energy content and a higher cetane.
Ron Schroeder
WD8CDH
'85 MB 300DT 2 Tank
Since '81 former WVO conversions:
'83 240D
'80 Audi 4000D
'83 Isuzu Pup
'86 Golf
'76 Honda Civic with Kubota engine
Prior to the cars, several generators
Kubota Tractor
WD8CDH

Postby SunWizard » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:13 am

Grif wrote: Wonder if I push 170 * oil thought it if it will "unclog"?

Yes if its fat.
Shouldn’t 54 hours be enough for 45 gallons with a OC-20 to get the water and non fat “gunk” out?

Yes thats way more than needed.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby dragonfly » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:26 pm

One of our Greater San Diego Greasers member has a one tank MB. I used my Simplecentrifuge to run quite a few gals. of the oil he collects because the oil was plugging the VO filter too ofter. I ran the oil through the Simplecentrifuge COLD (at ambient temp of 65F) to remove the FAT. Every WVO collection may contain diffenent amts of fats and/or water. He was very surprised to see the large amount of FAT that was scooped out of the CF bowl. Cleaning the oil with heat will melt the fat and you won't see it till it cools. It's the brown stuff laying on the bottom. After you clean a few gals, take a sample in a glass jar and place it the fridge or set it in a cool place for a day or two.
dragonfly

Postby John Galt » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:23 pm

Spin the VO till it tests DRY with a HPT or other test for water. Dry oil is more important than filtered to less than 5µ.
John Galt

great info - how about the best pump for an oc-20

Postby carybrief » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:57 pm

hey all - my oc-20 is on the fed ex truck coming my way - have a redline md2000dd which does 45ps1 10 gpm which i am told is no good for the oc20 so what do I need? and suggestions with part numbers would be much helpful as I have 1000gallons I need to get good b4 the cold comes. thanks
carybrief

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering