Time for a new centrifuge pump

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Time for a new centrifuge pump

Postby biovindiesel » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:59 am

I'm done using this belt-driven PS pump. I have money to spend somehow, and I was looking for rotary gear pump heads to attach to my 1/3hp motor.

Anyone out there have a pump they'd like to share with me?
Maybe a buyers guide for rotary gear pumps...

I found this with one of my initial searches, looks like I could open it up real easy. Under $200.

~Cv
biovindiesel

Postby SunWizard » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:14 am

Which CF you are running determines which pump you need. I like my Oberdorfer N991, I've had no problems in 3 years of using it. Pics of it are in the dieselcraft thread here.

I have heard the Teel ones are noisy.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby biovindiesel » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:35 pm

Aha, a good point you have.

I'm using a Dieselcraft OC-20.

First link from googling oberdorfer n991 gives me one for $210 +16sh.
Sounds like a good price, will look deeper though.

http://www.pumpagents.com/OberdorferPum ... N-F51.html
~Cv
biovindiesel

Postby rkpatt » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:02 pm

Which PS pump are you now using ? If it is not a Honda gear pump , then using one might be your simplest and cheapest solution .

If you are on a tight budget also look at using a Haldex hydraulic pump from Northertool or a GM SBC pump (Melling M-55 -)See information on it in the collection pump threads here and infopop wvo forums )
rkpatt

pump question

Postby carybrief » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:00 pm

you are on a tight budget also look at using a Haldex hydraulic pump from Northertool or a GM SBC pump (Melling M-55 -)See information on it in the collection pump threads here and infopop wvo forums ) do these two pumps have the right psi/gpm for a oc-20?
carybrief

Postby SunWizard » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:19 pm

A haldex pump will work but its way higher flow and 2000psi more pressure than needed so will waste some electric power and require a larger motor.

A GM melling pump is marginal since they aren't designed for 90psi and you would need to do custom mods to maybe get there. And custom welding to attach fittings. I haven't heard of anyone getting high enough pressure. And even below 90psi pressure they leak quite a bit around the seal.

Best by far if you are cheap and have spare time is to get an 80s acura power steering pump.
SunWizard
Site Admin

thanks

Postby carybrief » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:18 pm

well then two more questions if you don't mind. if I am not cheap and I already have 1/3hp contin dty motors what pump would you suggest for the OC20? as far as the Acura - what needs to be done to that pump? or is it an ez fit thnks again 4 your help cary
carybrief

Re: thanks

Postby SunWizard » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:08 am

carybrief wrote:well then two more questions if you don't mind. if I am not cheap and I already have 1/3hp contin dty motors what pump would you suggest for the OC20?

See the other thread where I answered the same question:
what is the best pump for the OC-20 fuge?
as far as the Acura - what needs to be done to that pump? or is it an ez fit thnks again 4 your help cary

You need to figure out how to mount it to something and attach a belt to a 2" pulley on your motor.
Last edited by SunWizard on Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
SunWizard
Site Admin

acura pump

Postby carybrief » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:08 pm

I found this one - says 86-90 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... OTORS:1123

so with a 2" pulley it throws the right gpm/psi? that would be great
carybrief

Postby SunWizard » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:34 pm

welliot in this thread said that a 2.25" pulley was just right (but doesn't state the motor RPM.)
http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums/ ... 8671050742
A 2.5" would probably work good too.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby David » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:17 am

SunWizard wrote:
I have heard the Teel ones are noisy.

I did a trade for a bunch of various gear pumps. They are all in good condition but most of them are so noisy ( especially at the higher end of their rpm/ flow range), they are impractical for most situations.

I guess when they are pumping weed killer or something from the PTO of a tractor or being used in a factory, the racket is irrelevant, but for use in surburbia.... Sheesh!

I had plans for one as a collection pump but the noise the thing makes is far worse than my SBC pump at the same flow and when it is pumping to the rate I'd really like, it's completely over the top noise wise.

A SBC pump will easily do 90 psi but it does require some very simple mods in blocking off the pressure bypass. A few large drops of 2 part epoxy glue in the port on the back cover would do it.

The leakage I think is completely over rated and if a small tray or container was placed underneath to catch any drips, it could easily be returned to the oil to be cleaned next time round.
In my experience with several of these pumps, it would take a LOT of time and pressure to get as much as a cupful leaking out.

I don't give a damn about what might or could happen until a significant group of people can tell me it HAS happened to them.
Until then, it's just more endless gloom and doom Veg folk law.
David

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering