burning oil with the hw elements? Any changes to barrel setu

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

burning oil with the hw elements? Any changes to barrel setu

Postby gary » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:01 am

After the cf I fill cubies and let settle a week or so and fine black stuff settels out...this is after prescribed cf time psi and temp and a 2 mic polish. I understand this can be the heater elements burning the oil. I also notice a black coating in the bottom of my cf barrel. Any changes to be made?
gary

Postby SunWizard » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:16 am

Its probably not the heater elements if you have 220volt 4500watt elements run at 110v. Other ones can burn the VO, what elements are you using?

The fine black stuff could also already be in the VO (not from elements) and you can CF for longer to get it out, or leave it settle. It could be particles less than 2 microns.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

heating element

Postby gary » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:33 pm

Yes Im using the 220 wired for 110, and was told that it is still too much heat. I do not want to take an element out to see if there is burnt stuff on it...(my washers just fit) but has anyone dissassembled theirs to see?

They also said you can bolt a piece of metal on element to disperse the heat better.
gary

Re: heating element

Postby SunWizard » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:07 pm

gary wrote:Yes Im using the 220 wired for 110, and was told that it is still too much heat. I do not want to take an element out to see if there is burnt stuff on it...(my washers just fit) but has anyone dissassembled theirs to see?

Its not too much heat when there is flow over it like you are using it. I have had no burnt VO after 3 years.
They also said you can bolt a piece of metal on element to disperse the heat better.

Very Bad idea:
1) its not needed and
2) it could make pockets where the flow is blocked making the VO burn worse, and burn out the element.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering