vegoil

If new, go here first. Beginner questions, Forum help, suggestions and more FAQ.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

vegoil

Postby biocummins » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:55 am

I am looking at buying MB either a 85 300SD or an 84 300D to run WVO. As my username suggest I run biodiesel in my truck but I don't have time to make bio and Im going to college and thought i could have oil filtered and ready go. I would convert my 95 dodge like sunwizard's but I don't feel confident doing it myself. Anyway I would like to know if anyone has any experience with fattywagon's sing tank benz kit. I live in a warm climate or should I go two tank. What do you think of a fattywagons kit with an auxillary tank for diesel? Would that be doable? sorry for the rambling all help is appreciated. I want to do my homework and get some more experienced opinions before I do anything.
biocummins

Postby SunWizard » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:29 am

I don't know what parts are in a single tank fattywagon. Probably just a bigger filter, and injector line heaters, which are of no value for cold starting, which is the main issue with single tank. 2 tank is always better, since you start on D2, and because you can burn any type of VO including gravy thick PHO which is much easier to find.

If you have a source of good clear VO which is needed for single tank, you can blend, no conversion needed. I would only single tank or >V30% blend in a cheap mercedes since its riskier than 2 tank.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby biocummins » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:55 pm

Thanks sunwizard, The fattywagons kit consists of consist of injector line heaters , Electrotherm in line heater, 12 volt 9 psi electric boost pump, stock in line fuel filter, modified return fitting, and all wiring and hoses necessary for the conversion. It is 250 dollars. why do you say the injector line heaters don't help on start up? Also how many miles have you been running a blend in your car? I missed an opportunity to buy one for $2,250 The 3 cars on craigslist I have been looking at on craigslist are 2,500-3,500 I saw another 1975 for 1500. Im not sure if the fattywagons kit would help or not. http://fattywagons.com/fwproducts.htm
biocummins

Postby SunWizard » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:16 pm

biocummins wrote:why do you say the injector line heaters don't help on start up?

Because the trouble at startup isn't the VO temp. The cold cylinder walls and prechambers condense the VO vapor, and some VO gets by the rings until the engine is warm, which can either coke the rings or poly the lube oil. A fraction of a degree warmer of VO vapor makes no change in how fast the cylinders warm up. Its a tiny amount of fuel mixed with a lot of air in the cylinder.

The only effect of ILH I have seen documented is that you get slightly lower emissions once the engine is up to full temp. My 300D on blend already runs perfectly and passes the emissions test (on a dyno under varied loads) at 2% max. opacity, better than many much newer vehicles.
Also how many miles have you been running a blend in your car?

30k miles in 3 years.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby SunWizard » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:07 pm

biocummins wrote:The 3 cars on craigslist I have been looking at on craigslist are 2,500-3,500

I consider those expensive ones. Mine with only 116K miles and lots of new parts, 4 new bilstein shocks, new injectors, new tires, new wheel bearings, new euro headlights, new door weatherstrips, new CD player, was only $1800.
Last edited by SunWizard on Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby biocummins » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:35 pm

Yeah i don't think I want to go single tank unless I find a cheaper car. I guess I need to make the decision whether to convert my truck or buy one of those cars and do a two tank conversion. I haven't had any trouble from my truck, I bought it at 220,000 and it has 231,000 ,I just don't really need a big truck, and it will be more expensive to convert. I was just looking at greasecars site and their kit for mercedes car is on sale for $995. I know that is the kit used by a guy in a book I read called Greasy Rider.But is it a good kit?
biocummins

Postby SunWizard » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:45 pm

I don't like greasecars since they don't get the VO hot enough (no FPHE) and they overheat the tank, with a finned copper pickup, which can cause poly that I have personally witnessed get very bad.
Last edited by SunWizard on Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby biocummins » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:22 pm

Are there any kits you like, or do you know of any place to find detailed pictures and directions to getting the supplies and converting yourself. I have been reading up on this forum and others and I am a little intimidated of trying to do it myself with no instructions.
biocummins

Postby coachgeo » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:51 pm

one thing to consider for one tanking is to use the best one tank kit out there that you like BUTTTTTT also add a diesel, propane, or Petrol fired coolant heater. Use that to warm up the engine to operating temps BEFORE STARTING vehicle. Then your risk of using one tanker should drop significantly.

Now though.... if you add up the cost of these aux. coolant heaters into the mix you might as well buy a full two tank kit. So all in all... IMHO.. it's an option to consider that is often discounted.

Now if you have the rare ability to allways have electrical hook up where you park for any significant amount of time then your cost drops way back down using this aux. heating pre start up method cause the 110v coolant/engine warmers are significantly less than the diesel/LP/Petrol ones.

. note- not even sure if they make LP ones. I was considering a home brewed LP one for a diesel motorcycle is why I included it. A small camping tank LP bottle would be all I needed with such little coolant to heat compared to a car or truck.
Life; It's all in the Balance

coachgeo

Postby biocummins » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:32 pm

The 1984 300D I was looking at has dropped to $1999. The odometer is broken(on 275,000) blower motor is also non functional. I don't think I trust this guy. He said it gets great mpg 40+. I don't think that is possible. What should I offer him I was thinking $1,300 if it looks good.
biocummins

Postby SunWizard » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:12 pm

biocummins wrote:He said it gets great mpg 40+. I don't think that is possible.

Not likely unless its downhill with a tailwind.
What should I offer him I was thinking $1,300 if it looks good.

All depends on condition, too hard to guess from your limited description.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Better late than never

Postby RECYCLER » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:59 pm

In my own personal opinion, biocummins you should bite the bullet and do the conversion yourself. If you just have someone put a system in and then you have a problem(even the finest machines have probs), YOU will then KNOW what is going wrong and be able to at least tell someone what needs to be done. If you feel as though you don't have the knowledge to get it done......THEN GO GET THE KNOWLEDGE(it is free)! Ask good questions and you will get some good answers...weigh them against each other and make a critical thinking decision. Lots of people(myself included) are out there willing to help. Don't know if this post is too late but maybe it will encourage someone else to take control of thier destiny.
Use it up , wear it out, make it do, or do without!
RECYCLER

Postby John Galt » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:13 pm

add a diesel, propane, or Petrol fired coolant heater. Use that to warm up the engine to operating temps BEFORE STARTING vehicle.
...or simpler yet [and much less expensive] use plug-in 115v pre-heaters to get the engine and fuel system up to temperature before start-up. I've run a single tank system with fuel blends coming up on 4 years now in a Toyota TDI. Electric pre-heat and FPHE, no other modifications were necessary.
John Galt

Postby jburke » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:57 am

JOhn's simpler yet is a good idea. Of course, you need at AC outlet to start if it's cold outside. Ok for Canada, but not the rest of N.A. ;-)
If biocummins is willing to drop his wvo % down to 40-50% if it gets below 50*F, might not even need the AC.

Another option for the M-B is an Elsbett single tank.
It actually works and is the same price as a greasecar kit.
No AC needed.
jburke

Return to Beginners section and FAQ