best suited trucks for WVO use?

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

best suited trucks for WVO use?

Postby beeline » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:08 am

hello forum members,
not sure if this post belongs in this column, but here we go...

I am looking at getting a diesel truck to run on WVO with a two tank system. Reading in this forum and other places, it seems the Dodge 12 valve engines up to may 98 (?) are the best suited? do you agree? when they switched to the 24 valve engine, did the injector pump change as well? Up to what year did they have a mechanical injector pump? and what other changes (favorable/unfavorable) were introduced with the 24 valve engine.

So far I am not considering any GMC's and don't know too much about Ford's, but any insight as far as which years and models of engines/injection pumps work best would be great.

I am not set on a particular truck, just looking for the best suited setup to run WVO regarding amount of changes and reliability. Thank you for your insight and time.

T.
beeline

Postby John Galt » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:21 pm

If you're in Canada you can get Toyota trucks with inline mechanical IPs that are ideal for VO fuel. In the US the Cummins 12v with the inline mechanical IP is your best option.
Last edited by John Galt on Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Galt

Postby SunWizard » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:03 pm

Dodge Cummins from 94-98.5 are the best since they have the strong inline Bosch IP.

The 24 valve engine is a far different and weaker IP, and much more expensive to replace electronic injectors.

The old <94 Fords I have seen all used a stanadyne rotary IP, the weakest you can get. Starting in 94 Fords use the powerstroke engine which is a good design but harder to convert and needs more expensive repairs than a Dodge.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby kirkharrod » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:38 am

The deadheaded fuel system on the 99-03 powerstrokes make it ideal for a veggie conversion. I would posit that the Ford is easier to work on yourself than a dodge or chevy.
Also, the powerstrokes do not have an injection pump, which is a very expensive fix on the dodge.
2002 Ford F-250 7.3 L
kirkharrod

Postby coachgeo » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:06 am

Mercedes GWagen with the 617 Diesel ; Graymarket
Toyota Landcruiser Diesel; from Canada
:D

Pull a trailer for hauling stuff 8)
Life; It's all in the Balance

coachgeo

Postby beeline » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:47 pm

Thank you, great information.

I plan on getting a fifth-wheel trailer and hence leaning towards a north american truck. Time will tell what I end up gettingl...

Cheers.
beeline

Postby mike_belben » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:07 pm

12 valve cummins hand down. minor pump mods, injectors and exhaust will make 650 ft lbs easy and accelerate your 5th wheel uphill in OD. motor super easy to work on compared to the others. people pull the entire cab to do headgaskets on the V8 diesels. glowplugs on the powerstroke are no fun either.
mike_belben

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion