What causes Dieselcraft blowouts - I am scared

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

What causes Dieselcraft blowouts - I am scared

Postby all_grown_up » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:00 am

I just spent an hour on a forum which discussed the Absolute Centrifuge product. One of the principal arguments for a gravity centrifuge is the absence of a pressurized system which can fail. A number of contributors mentioned they had given up on their Dieselcrafts because of accidents and their fear of leaving the system running unattended. I am most curious as how how common these problems are. I have not had a major accident yet but can certainly see how it could happen. I turned off a pump once without turning off the inline heater. It could have been a lot worse than it was. Now I use a bucket heater.

Sometimes people have problems/failures because they have been doing something wrong. Perhaps their centrifuges malfunction because the oil they are trying to process has not been prefiltered? I heat settle my oil and run it through 400/200/100 micron filters before it hits the centrifuge.

How great is the danger here? What can I do to minimize the risk? Should I build a containment facility or just buy an Absolute Centrifuge.

I have been enjoying the Dieselcraft but perhaps am being foolish in letting it run unattended. (for awhile I had a wireless video camera on it so I could supervise it from my computer).
all_grown_up

Postby SunWizard » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:02 am

The problems isn't common and only occurs on those who don't know how to make hose connections, or for those trying to come up with a sales pitch for their CF.

On mine I have only 1 short section of 250 psi hose which I doubt would ever blow out. The rest is solid steel pipe. I always leave it unattended for 3 years. If you were concerned that you don't know how to make a decent hose, you could buy a 2000 psi hydraulic hose with permanently crimped fittings on it from a hydraulic or tractor place.

You can easily wire your heater and pump to the same switch so that you can't ever forget. On mine I have the heater and pump switches side by side so its easy to never do it wrong.

If you put a thermostat on your inline heater there isn't any problem even if you forget and leave it on. Or you can use a bucket heater or band heater although both are slower. On an absolute CF thats unattended and the VO supply runs out, you can leave an inline heater on with no VO in it, or no flow and have the same or a worse problem.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby rkpatt » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:26 am

SunWizard - What type of hose ( & source ) is that 250 psi you are using ? - Thanks
rkpatt

Postby SunWizard » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:56 am

rkpatt wrote:SunWizard - What type of hose ( & source ) is that 250 psi you are using ? - Thanks

Its Aeroquip FC332 AQP hose. 1000psi burst pressure, 302F max. temp. I got it free, in exchange for helping improve a greasecar rig.
Here is a source:
http://www.aeroquip.cc/index.asp?PageAc ... =GO&Page=1
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby powerstroke73L » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:18 pm

I know this thread is quite old, but McMaster-Carr is a great source for hydraulic hoses, fittings, etc... I only have two "soft" lines in my system (lines other than black iron pipe) which are Parker hydraulic hoses rated for 3250 psi max working pressure. Based on that number burst pressure is probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 8000 psi. I run my system at 90 psi at temperatures up to 190 degrees with no worries (or supervision) whatsoever.
powerstroke73L

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering