centrifuge heat source

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

centrifuge heat source

Postby grimey » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:44 am

Has anyone tried using a FPHE with engine coolant to heat up the oil before the CF?
Im designing a setup that will only be used on our bus and mainly while driving, so im trying to decide if the water heater elements in the pipe would be best, or just using heat from the coolant, since its already available.

1993 ford e350 7.3L Short Bus
grimey

Postby SunWizard » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:47 am

Heat from a FPHE will work for a CF. You could only use it while driving. I would still have heater elements also so you can CF while parked, which is what I prefer.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Mobile CF Setup

Postby grimey » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:37 am

So here is a diagram of my mobile centrifuge setup. Its not finished yet. still in planning and to be built in the next couple weeks. The main heat for the CF is from engine coolant. i will mainly be using this while driving.

- Oil goes from the dumpster to the dirty tank which is heated with a large heat exchanger. It heats the entire tank up to around 160F in 20-30 mins of highway driving.
- From there it is pumped through the FPHE into the CF, then into the barrel for the 1st pass. Then when the barrel is full, i turn the 3way valve from the dirty tank to the barrel position and can just let the CF run to do 2nd and 3rd passes. *With this setup, there will only ever be oil that has been through the CF once in the barrel.
- When i shut down the pump, i will close the valve under the CF to prevent any dirty or wet oil that could fall into the barrel.
- For winter or when i am not driving, there will be a water heater element just above the CF pickup at the bottom of the barrel to heat the oil around that area.
- When the barrel is clean, it will be transfered with a pump through secondary filter, into the clean tank. (which is hooked up to the fuel system) *With this system i can filter and fill my clean tank while driving
-the pump motor and heater element will be powered with a 3000watt inverter, hooked up to deepcycle batteries. which can be charged with onboard wind generators.

I will post more details as it comes together. And i will also be posting my manual 2 valve system design soon.

any questions or criticisms are welcome.
[/img]
grimey

Postby BMW Fan » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:34 am

That’s how I did it .
Heaters can be added according to the users preference

BMW Fan
BMW Fan

Postby rkpatt » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:36 am

BMWfan - Do you know if the FPHEs you sell or the Kaori FPHEs others sell can handle the flow of 1-2 gpm and the pressure of 90-100 +psi ?
rkpatt

Postby SunWizard » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:07 am

rkpatt wrote:BMWfan - Do you know if the FPHEs you sell or the Kaori FPHEs others sell can handle the flow of 1-2 gpm and the pressure of 90-100 +psi ?

Even the no-name brand FPHE can easily handle those flows and pressures.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby BMW Fan » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:01 pm

Yes, my FPHE can handle those conditions without problems and as always our SunWizard is correct, any other FPHE can, too.
I believe that CAD $ 100.00 for the 20 plate including the 4 SWIFFEL connectors is a good deal.

BMW Fan
BMW Fan

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering