Hydraulic oil ?

If new, go here first. Beginner questions, Forum help, suggestions and more FAQ.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Hydraulic oil ?

Postby Olivier » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:11 am

Hello,
Just wondering about hydraulic oil, will that burn properly strait in or does it need to be blended with WVO or dino, or this is a no go as not good for the engine?
Thank you.
Olivier
E300TD 1997 on WVO
Olivier

Postby John Galt » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:20 am

Any fuel should be the same viscosity as the diesel fuel the engine was designed for.
Heat, solvents, or a combination of both is commonly used to achieve the optimum viscosity.
John Galt

Postby Olivier » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:25 am

Hello John, mainly what I am actually wondering is not really the viscosity but the combustion, will it be OK ?
Thank you.
Olivier
E300TD 1997 on WVO
Olivier

Postby SunWizard » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:52 am

It has the same problems as burning VO. It hasn't been tested much so its more risky. I wouldn't do it in such an expensive car. Best is a proper 2 tank rig providing enough heat, then you could run 100%. Or blend, see those 2 sections of the forums for much more info.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby Olivier » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:36 am

Thank you.
I am already running on a blend 90% WVO and 10% diesel, single tank, no mod yet. All fine.
I was just wondering about hydraulic as, as you mentionned too, there isn't much knowledge about it and how it will be burn.
Cheers.
Olivier
E300TD 1997 on WVO
Olivier

Postby John Galt » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:26 pm

I wouldn't use hydraulic oil, ATF, or motor oil as a fuel in a vehicle. They're all specifically formulated withstand high heat and not burn, not exactly the best properties for a fuel. I also have a fairly low mileage truck. If someone had an old clunker that was burning oil anyway it probably wouldn't make much difference. IMHO it would make the exhaust smell even more objectionable and likely more smoky. I try to avoid those things which contribute to the 'dirty diesel' image in most people's minds.
John Galt

Postby SunWizard » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:19 pm

John Galt wrote:I wouldn't use hydraulic oil, ATF, or motor oil as a fuel in a vehicle.

I agree.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby Olivier » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:29 am

Thank you guys. This would answer the question.
All the best.
Olivier
E300TD 1997 on WVO
Olivier

Postby David » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:56 pm

Is there much difference between Hydrulic oil and ATF?

There has been some talk on the local forum of using ATF due to it's cleaning properties. Personally I think Bio would have to be the best solvent of all but others are convinced of the ATF.

I think if ATF were blended with Kero, Dino, ULP or Bio, there shouldn't be much problem with burning it. The temps inside an engine would far outweigh the differences in ignition temps of the different materials and when it comes down to it, it's all oil.

I can think of a few properties ATF should have that would be better than WVO as well as a few drawbacks. I think it could also be like WVO to a lot of people, the thought of Burning it could be the biggest problem and not borne out in practicality. I have read of a few people using it seemingly with good success.

It seems to be a bit of the chicken and the egg syndrome.
Untill people try it they won't know if it works properly but if they don't know it works they won't try it in the first place! :lol:

I don't give a damn about what might or could happen until a significant group of people can tell me it HAS happened to them.
Until then, it's just more endless gloom and doom Veg folk law.
David

Postby coachgeo » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:24 am

David wrote:Is there much difference between Hydrulic oil and ATF?

There has been some talk on the local forum of using ATF due to it's cleaning properties. ...
Not sure ATF reallly has the cleaning properties now that it did back when it earned that reputation; though the reputation still exist. Seem to recall some discussions have been had that seem to say that it no longer does. You might want to search on this.

There has also been mentions that the "additives" in engine oils, hydraulic oils, ATF etc.... including ones that would help with cleaning, under combustion creates polution worse then the fuels we would like to replace by using veg oil.
Life; It's all in the Balance

coachgeo

Postby Olivier » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:21 pm

Humm,it seems all confusing then, wondering now, is there any real data on it?
Cheers.
E300TD 1997 on WVO
Olivier

Postby David » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:02 pm

Olivier wrote:Humm,it seems all confusing then, wondering now, is there any real data on it?
Cheers.

Is there any real Data on WVO?
Most of the studies I have seen published are old and all of the research has at least one, usually more arguing points with veggers who dispute whatever conclusions are arrived at.

That said, there are thousands of people that run Veg very successfully.

Personally, I see a number of advantages to running ATF, Hyd. oil and others not commonly used. It is all however a balancing act and matching the properties of the fuel to the requirements of the engine.

It is not at all necessary to match the Viscosity of a fuel to dino in order to burn it successfully. It is however nessacary to get it within the TOLERANCE of the pump and injectors. I did see a chart some time back which listed the viscosity limits of the main types of pumps.
Dino is very low viscosity compared to most Veg fuels but the viscosity range of the pumps is also surprisingly high and thats what enables us to run veg fuels in the first place.
Even bio percentage wise is a fair bit higher in viscosity and I doubt there are many people that have their fuel anywhere near matched to the viscosity of dino.

As you rightfully suggest however, there is a lot bigger picture to consider than Viscosity alone. In the absence of much data or experience of others to go on, Logically you would have to try this yourself starting with a small percentage and working your way up while all the time keeping an eye on your engine.

The main danger would appear to be from coking so once again my pet technology of Water injection would be worthwhile to use in order to offer some protection to the engine. It may well allow the use of fuels or ratios to be run without problem where they may not be possible otherwise.

WVO burns at considerably higher temps than Dino and we know WVO works so it may be worthwhile looking up the relevant temps and properties for the oils you wish to use and comparing them to veg being a known qty, rather than worrying too much about the specific properties of dino.

If you find the Hyd oil has similar properties to veg relevant to combustion, this would give some support to its suitability as a diesel fuel/ supplement.

There are a number of people I have read using these fuels on Infopop so the question may get some experienced response there.

I don't give a damn about what might or could happen until a significant group of people can tell me it HAS happened to them.
Until then, it's just more endless gloom and doom Veg folk law.
David

Hydraulic oil yes or no

Postby deck60 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:00 pm

if you remember when you all started to run wvo they said it couldn't be done don't dispute this too much I have been doing lots of research and there is starting a following for this as wvo but it is called umo which entails engine oil hydraulic oil and gear lube it all has to do the filtering and getting the right viscosity whether you do a single and thin it to 70-30 or do a heated 2 tank 90-10 this should not be disputed everyone did this to us when wvo started lets live outside of the box and think about this they are doing the same taking a waste product that could contaminate our planet and disposing of it through means that creates no more pollution than diesel several of the umo have passed their state emission tests lets embrace our brothers that are doing the same as us just with a different raw product and help each other out

Dennis
deck60

Postby SunWizard » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:02 pm

See:
Blending with used motor oil WMO and ATF for lots of good info on this topic.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Return to Beginners section and FAQ