Carbon On Injector After 5000 Miles

Single Tank WVO systems and blending SVO WVO to thin it.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Postby Turbogeno » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:39 pm

I do have a 2 tank setup for starting and stopping but I was also blending with rug. I decided to post here. Now I blend ~20% diesel. Not too many miles yet but things seem to be working OK. I haven’t looked at the injectors yet but will after a few more 1000 miles. I’ve also had some ebay bids on Shurflo pumps for WI but have been outbid cause I’m cheap.

Thanks, Geno
1985 MB 300D. 215k. Home made 2 tank conversion.
MB 300D
Listeroid
Centrifuge
Turbogeno

Postby David » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:21 am

Bones wrote:Thanks for that, I'll have a poke around at my local gardening centre although I did spot these on ebay http://tinyurl.com/mm46qf

What sort of pump do you use and how is the flow activated?

I cant use the kick down button on mine as car is too fast :D

The nozzles you linked are 180o rather than the full circle 360o type I use. These may be OK but you would want to watch which way you mounted them to keep the water dispersal as even as possible throughout the cylinders.

The pump I use is just a windscreen washer pump off a popular car here. It is made by VDO and I believe is used by several manufacturers It is known as a black pump due to the distinct black rubber cover it has on it.

Not sure if your car is a turbo but if it is you can just use a pressure switch to activate the WI. There are some adjustable switches made by hobbs that can be set from I think 2Lb upwards.

If you have an NA engine, you could try a pressure switch that is fed from the exhaust. I would tap the manifold and then run a copper or steel pipe to the remotely mounted switch. You may also be able to use a proximity switch on the throttle linkage. Mount a switch and a magnet so when the throttle is at half or above, the switch is near enough the magnet to be activated.

There are also Washing machine level switches which are basically very sensitive pressure switches. One of these strategically tapped onto the inlet manifold would most likely be able to be set between the difference in pressure in the inlet manifold between idle and higher revs even on a Diesel.

The only other thing I could think of is something with the Auto kickdown rod although I'm not sure your car has one.

I don't give a damn about what might or could happen until a significant group of people can tell me it HAS happened to them.
Until then, it's just more endless gloom and doom Veg folk law.
David

Postby Bones » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:08 pm

Thanks for the info David, I'll post back once underway.
David

1994 Merc C250D -110k dino, 22k miles with t/tank - now on wvo
1998 Merc 300TD - 89k dino, 5k blend SVO garaged for winter

And remember ~

"if you drive a car fast enough it will last you a lifetime"
Bones

Postby dragonfly » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:00 am

I would suggest the McMaster Carr nozzle #3178K41 stailless steel @ $4.65 At 40 psi it will deliver .63 gal/min. I agree the cone should be 360 degree. I also use the Shurflo demand pump, PEX for the supply, 5 gal red poly tank. I have placed the spray nozzle off center and not directly down the intake manifold. At freeway speeds (75mph) an increase in power is noticable in with my '80 300D (254K on the clock). I operate the WI at freeway speeds and not in the city. One drawback that I've heard about is the valve stems will rust and MIGHT need new valves in time. Haven't pulled any of the injectors to see what if any carbon is there.
dragonfly

Postby Bones » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:28 pm

Cheers for that info DF,

I think what I will do is to put my twin tanked C250D on the road for the up coming winter and do the work on the 300TD in the garage ready for spring.

Sounds like a plan, will keep you posted.
David

And remember ~

Bones

Postby Bones » Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:26 pm

I thought this was a good set up -

http://www.biofuelsforum.com/svo_users/ ... uiser.html

btw, David are you David Jones on the above forum?

Might have to cut and paste, cant seem to insert a URL linky
David

And remember ~

Bones

Postby David » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:19 pm

Hi Bones,

Yes, that is my alter ego on that forum.

I have seen a few people using that style pump on WI systems.
If you are running a turbo and need to overcome the boost pressure, they would be a good idea. I was reading on a site the other day that the Windscreen washer pump I have is good for 28-35 PSI which was a surprise.

I also found a site that had tested the WI upstream of the air filter. They reckoned it stayed dry when activated but I'm not sure about this type of setup. I'd wonder if the water could wash the dirt through if the water hadn't more or less vaporized before it got to the filter?
I was also thinking that any temp drop could be negated if the WI was too far upstream if the radiated under bonnet heat would warm the intake air again?

A friend mounted his Nozzle at the inlet side of the intercooler. I have seen the inlet temps drop 100oC+ when the WI is activated when the vehicle is under load.

I very much Doubt the valve rusting theroy. The water would not be there long enough to do anything and the valve stems would also have a thin film of oil on them which would prevent the rusting.
I think if mine were going to rust they would have in 3 years but I have no sign of any problems in that area.

I don't give a damn about what might or could happen until a significant group of people can tell me it HAS happened to them.
Until then, it's just more endless gloom and doom Veg folk law.
David

Postby Bones » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:21 am

David wrote:
I have seen a few people using that style pump on WI systems.
If you are running a turbo and need to overcome the boost pressure, they would be a good idea

Hi David,

Yes, mine is a turbo with the air pipe from the turbo going under the car.

the above threw me a bit as I didn't understand the part about overcoming the boost pressure? if the nozzle is fitted just before the manifold then the boost pressure would help, no?

I might drop the poster a line and get a list of parts that he used as that looks to be spot on for my size of engine. Btw, I am spock on there :wink:

That vacuum switch looks like the way to go

I don't think the washer pumps that i have been looking at are really up to the job, they are so small.
David

And remember ~

Bones

Previous

Return to Single Tank Systems and Blending