what temp can the blue plastic barrels take?

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

what temp can the blue plastic barrels take?

Postby carybrief » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:59 pm

does anyone know what temp the blue plastic 30 gallon drums can take? having a tough time finding good metal drums right now. thanks
carybrief

Postby John Galt » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:07 pm

If it's HDPE then the upper limit temperature for pressure service is 140 degrees Fahrenheit. ln gravity flow applications, the upper thermal limit is considered to be in the range of 160F for long term exposure; and up to 180 degrees Fahrenheit for short-term intermittent exposure.
John Galt

thanks - here is what i'm doing

Postby carybrief » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:36 pm

I am going to run the centrifuge system and heat the oil in a pipe outside the drum. so the wvo going back in heated from the bypass and the oil from the fuge itself recirculating. not sure what temp it will be if I run the oil at 140 150 in the pipe, but has to be a few degrees lower. it will run for the 4 hours max at a time. i did find some motor oil drums for $10 finally so If they are still avail monday my problem for the meantime is solved - hopefully.
carybrief

Postby SunWizard » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:03 am

I agree with John's numbers. I wouldn't use a poly barrel for a CF, it can exceed the temp the plastic can handle and make a huge mess. Metal barrels are easy to find.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering