thermostat install questions for heating wvo

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

thermostat install questions for heating wvo

Postby carybrief » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:11 am

Putting together my centrifuge system this week. need some help setting up the thermostat. confused with what I found on the site. will be using two water heater elements - do I need two thermostats? how is best to wire them? thanks
carybrief

Postby kirkharrod » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:37 am

I would use two thermostats. An regular extension cord has two wires. Cut ONE of the wires, and insert the thermostat between the two pieces that you just cut.
2002 Ford F-250 7.3 L
kirkharrod

thermostat

Postby carybrief » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:06 am

and then wire it to the heater? or plug it to the heater? is that the idea? thanks
carybrief

Postby dragonfly » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:40 am

Go to Home Depot and locate the heating elements in the plumbing section. On the back of the package is a diagram of how to wire the two elements with one thermostat controling both.
dragonfly

Re: thermostat

Postby David » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:17 pm

carybrief wrote:and then wire it to the heater? or plug it to the heater? is that the idea? thanks

No!

Get an electrician to do all the wiring for you so you don't kill yourself or someone else.
Electricity is not something to play with if you don't know what your doing with it in simple circuits and applications.

I'm not a safety zealot but there are some times and some people that shouldn't touch things they have to ask directions for on the internet.
This is not the place to learn about such potentially lethal practices.

I don't give a damn about what might or could happen until a significant group of people can tell me it HAS happened to them.
Until then, it's just more endless gloom and doom Veg folk law.
David

thanks

Postby carybrief » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:09 pm

got the system running today. thanks for the warning - I have lots of wiring exp. I was an ATM installer and owned a machine shop for years - just never had to deal with a thermostat - that has usually been the plumbers duty. just wanted to understand how they work. I wired them up fine - everything is grounded and each electrical component of this system is running on its own dedicated outlet and breaker due to the continuous duty of the heaters/pump. again thanks for the help. great forum
carybrief

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering