YUK... chevy 6.5 but cost is right

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

YUK... chevy 6.5 but cost is right

Postby coachgeo » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:20 pm

Thinking on purchasing a 1997 van I can use to haul kids for my biz (kids Sport school.)

Main one Im looking at is a 1997 Ex-Military Small Bus with Chevy/GM 6.5.

I know the IP (Rotary- Stanadine) on these is not as tolerant to Veg but thoughts have been leaning toward that mostly being due to cold start/operating.

I am in TX but it is north TX and it does hit freezing at night for a couple months a year. Think of it more like Southern OK than TX. Then again, the rig would not be started till 2:30pm-ish in the afternoons and driven for a few hours. Left running the whole few hours.

Would do "PRE" coolant heat as in plug it up for couple hours to a 110v coolant heater to get it operating temp. before ever starting it. Would do typical additional coolant fuel heating too with FPHE etc., Insulated filter etc.

Will this heat up the IP enough to be of any value at start up? If not could I coolant wrap somehow a portion of the IP to add prestart heat to it? I have never actually seen a stanadine w/my one eyes so I can't even guess on that. Maybe a heating pad like they use on oil pans but applied to the IP instead?

What is your thoughts.

Probably would start w/blend just due to timing factor of getting this whole side biz off the ground

PS-yes I searched first. Asking now to see what the newest info is on the Stanadine IP issues
Life; It's all in the Balance

coachgeo

Postby simone0414 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:20 pm

I ran my 99 Serria for 6 months with a 2 tank conversion & it ran great on veg. Had overheating problems when towing my camper which eventually caused the block to crack. Not caused by veg though.

The IP in these engines is not as robust as others but can run veg quite well. I have heard of some problems with the optic sensor in them when running on veg but I never had a problem with mine. The oilder mechanical IP's on the 6.2's have been know to snap the shaft in very cold climates. Most attribute this to what is being called thermal shock. I have never heard of this happening on the IP that would be in this van though.

One thing you must do if you run on veg & is a good idea to anyway is relocate the pmd to away from the IP & preferably to behind the front bumper. If you leave the pmd on the IP the hot veg will kill it for sure.

As far as blending goes everyone has different opinions on it but mine is do not do it. By blending you are not thinning the veg/diesel mixture to the same viscosity as diesel & are taking chances with a less robust IP then say a Cummins. Why take the chance on saving a few $$$ & potentally ruining your IP. Do it right & keep the fuels seperate & heat the oil to minimum 160F pre IP.

Good luck
simone0414

Postby 240Volvo » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:01 am

Sounds like you are on the right track, but don't run veg till the conversion is complete. To avoid thermal shock, run both fuels through the FPHE. I recommend the plug in pre-heater, electric+coolant heated fuel filter, FPHE, looped return.

To those concerned about heating diesel, just add a little veg to diesel tank when filling for addition lubricity. Blending some diesel/kero in veg tank is also a good idea in the cooler months, Oct.-March.
1984 Volvo 240 diesel with a single tank Elsbett conversion: electric fuel filter heater, FPHE, glow plugs, and injectors. Also injector line heaters and block heater, running 20%kero/80%WVO winter blend.
240Volvo

Postby BMW Fan » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:01 am

coach,

you may get some help from this link, too.

http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums/ ... /524109642

BMW Fan
BMW Fan

Postby coachgeo » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:25 am

Thanks guys. This deal fell thru. Come to find out it had completely wrong type of seating for my needs.

Keep your thoughts coming though cause many of the mini busses in my price range have this engine
Life; It's all in the Balance

coachgeo

Postby simone0414 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:08 pm

make sure that when you check any more out you are able ot start the engine when it is cold & check the upper rad hose to see if it gets hard quickly. If it does that is a sure sign of a head gasket issue of some kind. The turbo wastegate setup is suspect on these engines as well. That is quite easy to overcome & not that expensive to do. Check out some diesel webistes as well. Loads of info on there to help you out.This one has been very helpful to me http://www.dieseltowingresource.com/.
simone0414

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion