Veg supply line routing question for 2003 Dodge Cummins

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Veg supply line routing question for 2003 Dodge Cummins

Postby skidmark » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:56 am

I sidelined my two tank conversion for over a year, but am now ready to start back up. I am curious if it makes a difference whether I route my veg supply line before or after my low pressure fuel pump. I am concerned that introducing 190 degree veg oil into the engine mounted low pressure pump would be too much heat for the pump to handle and therefore cause a failure. Have others had a problem with this? On the other hand, I think that I would need to splice a relay into the fuel pump's power supply, so that it would cut off when I switch to veg and not keep running with no fuel supplied to it, if I introduced my veg supply between my low pressure and high pressure pumps. I am trying to keep my system as simple as possible. Plumbing the supply before the stock fuel pump would be the simplest for me, but ruining the pump with hot oil would be a PIA. I would appreciate input from anyone who has converted their Dodge.

Thanks!
Skid
skidmark

Postby paulkrohn1 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:38 pm

There are some Pros and a lot of Cons when it comes to converting the V44 pumps. I steered clear of those model years because of the numerous problems running diesel. You can search this forum and others and you will find some have converted them successfully and others have not. I guess it all depends on the system. Frybrid forum has tons of info on those as well.
98 12 Valve, BHAF, Fuel Plate, conversion in-process
paulkrohn1

Postby nismostate » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:44 pm

working on redoing the fuel routing on my recently purchased 2003 Dodge with GFS on it. Noticed that it always loops D2 normally (never return back to d2 tank) and returns back to VO tank when using the purge button. Just doesn't seem right since the return D2 can get really hot and cause problems on hot ambient days.

BTW, 2003 and up Dodges dont have a V44 pump. it's a CP3 and seems to work fine with VO.
nismostate

Postby SunWizard » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:38 am

Its not good to loop after the lift pump (LP) since that pressurizes the return on the IP and messes up its performance.

You could return to tank or to an enclosure around the pickup in the tank like Frybrid does, to avoid heat problems with your LP. I don't know if that pump can handle the heat, also make sure you don't have an in-tank LP as some of those models do. They were often retro-fit by the dealer with in tank LP when the stock LP failed. Or change to a LP that is proven to handle the heat of looping like the FASS or Raptor (both expensive).

Because of your VP44, put a pressure guage and/or warning buzzer after your LP, since due to a weak LP or clogged filter and the pressure drops below 5psi, it ruins the expensive IP, a very common problem.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby nismostate » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:58 pm

its using the stock engine mounted LP still and the return line is routed on the suction side of the stock LP. you did bring a good point though because its using a FASS for WVO and when that kicks on, it would be putting pressure on the return line since its mounted before the return. This is an old Greaser setup and I definitely plan on redoing a few things before actually using it.

03+ Dodges have CP3 injection pumps, not VP44, so Im pretty safe to use WVO but I want a pressure gauge to watch the LP.

question,
isnt it unsafe to run D2 too hot? Since its in a constant loop, Im afraid that the return D2 fuel will be too hot for the engine to run right especially during the summer.

Do you have to run a return line back to the WVO tank? I wouldn't mind looping WVO since it needs to be hot anyways. Ive read that purging takes much longer since wvo is going thru the stock d2 filter as well but i plan on switching to D2 a few miles before my destination anyways.

what do you guys do to clean your wvo system? Would it be ok to fill the WVO tank with ~85% D2 and ~10% WVO and 5% injector cleaner? I guess the heating of the tank can cause problems?
nismostate

Postby coachgeo » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:16 am

If the tank has lots of air in it (constantly half full etc.) and its metal... you more easily get polymer. Heat is an element of that.

read up in here on polymerization and chicken skin
Life; It's all in the Balance

coachgeo

Postby SunWizard » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:54 am

nismostate wrote:isnt it unsafe to run D2 too hot? Since its in a constant loop, Im afraid that the return D2 fuel will be too hot for the engine to run right especially during the summer.

You can add 2% b100 or VO and then looping D2 isn't a problem since this fixes the hot D2 lubricity problem.
Do you have to run a return line back to the WVO tank?

No.
Ive read that purging takes much longer since wvo is going thru the stock d2 filter as well but i plan on switching to D2 a few miles before my destination anyways.

No longer if you design it right, see my conversion in the converted vehicle section for a design that has no VO return line and still purges in seconds. I never have any VO in the stock D2 filter. During purge, my VO returns in the VO supply line.
what do you guys do to clean your wvo system? Would it be ok to fill the WVO tank with ~85% D2 and ~10% WVO and 5% injector cleaner? I guess the heating of the tank can cause problems?

Mine never needed cleaning in 4 years. Don't heat the entire tank, just the pickup.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion