turpentine (WOW)

Single Tank WVO systems and blending SVO WVO to thin it.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

turpentine (WOW)

Postby buzzinhalfdoz » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:41 pm

AFTER DOING RESEARCH :o ON SEVERAL FOURMS I DECIDED to try some turpentine(insead of power service), for cetane boost. i run 20-25%wvo in my #2, i blended 1-2oz turpentine(per gal wvo) in the wvo before i poured it into my fuel tank. wow :D , the truck runs as well as it does on straight #2. i think my mpg is up too, i will do more driveing this week to confurm mpg, then post my results.
ps any ill :twisted: side effects to turpentine???
03 cummins 2500,4x4,some mpg mods,25%wvo,240,000 miles now,original IP,+50hp sticks,work truck
buzzinhalfdoz

Postby jburke » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:33 pm

There is a lot of turp info at biodiesel.infopop.cc
The best scientific is this one:
http://www.transport.vgtu.lt/upload/tif ... vicius.pdf

But I think it basically shows that the benefits are proportional to it's percentage in the blend. ie, a 5% turp. blend achieved 8% 'better' results.
I'd be amazed if you saw anything with 1-2 oz.

Bu I've tried it myself and it seemed to improve performance.
I think you'd really need some good performance data to back up your perceptions. The lithuanian study indicates this.
It really only showed emissions benefits , and only in proportion to the anount of turp in the blend.

I found gasoline seems to reduce viscosity as much as turp and for far less $.
Limit to 3% gasoline

I probably ran as much as 16 oz's / tankfull w/o any obvious failures such as seal leaks. No doubt someone will claim that pine turp. is not compatible with the seals.
jburke

Postby John Galt » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:03 pm

Yes, pure gum turpentine increases perceived power performance somewhat. Here it's 6x more expensive than diesel fuel so it's of questionable value as an MPG enhancer.
John Galt

Return to Single Tank Systems and Blending