Pool Pump

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Pool Pump

Postby tubular031 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:37 pm

I am still looking for a pump. I have a source to get oil from that allows me to pump out of their storage tanks (very clean oil) into my totes. I was leaning toward a gas pump but most say they need to be primed. I don't want to mess with that. my little fill rite pump is WAY WAY too slow. I got to thinking about a pool pump. The one I am using on my moms above ground pool will self prime and move water at 60 GPM. Not sure how it will do with VO. It even has a strainer on it to catch chicken beaks and feet if I happen to suck one up :)

The only thing that scares me about a pump like this is 60GPM! thats insane fast! It makes a huge stream of water on the output side and I don't want to have to clean up the mess! at least with a gas pump you can turn the throttle down to slow the flow.
01 F350 CCLB SRW

Veggie conversion done!
http://www.burnveg.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=623
tubular031

Postby SunWizard » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:53 pm

It will move VO much slower than water, and maybe not pump at all. It may also not be self priming on VO.

The easy fix I did to solve my honda trash pump prime, is to put a 3' section of PVC pipe on the suction end, then a PVC ball valve. This lets me see and control exactly how deep in the barrel or dumpster I am. To stop, shut the valve, then shut off the pump. This avoids the problem of having to let go of the collection end of the hose to run back to the pump to shut it off while it sucks air or gallons of watery goo from the bottom. The line stays full enough to never need primed, and its less mess.

I have a 4hp honda trash pump, very similar to this one:
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/ ... 4621_74621

and its working great for pumping even the thickest PHO. Bought at a local farm store for $400. Its fairly quiet and it pumps so fast I usually have it running at near idle speed, and it still does about 20 gpm. (its rated 185gpm for water.)

The only thing I don't like is its a little heavy to carry around for loading into my truck at about 60 pounds. A 2hp gas powered model would be lighter and still be fast enough if run at a little higher rpms. Get a "trash" model that can handle solids since you will get some french fry chunks and it pumps so fast you don't want a strainer, it will clog too quick.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby David » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:31 pm

If you want something smaller and lighter as well as virtually silent, a SBC gear pump may be worth considering. They are cheap and easy to build and will pump any oil consistency from water to fats as thick as Putty.

I have a 300W , 24V motor on mine and it will do better than 80L min ( 22 gal?).
I have been running it at 12V lately because the thing will still do 60-65% of what it will on 24V and it saves carrying an extra battery ( should have bought smaller ones) and the thing is still plenty quick for filling cubees.

I have bought a spa pump to use with my drying/ filtering unit but I haven't hooked it up yet to test it on veg. In my experience with other water pumps with oil, the larger the impeller, the better they work. I think this is because they get more " bite" on the oil and being centrifugal, they can throw it out better being that it is lighter than water.

I defer to those with actual practical experience but I would think a pool pump would work fine, although at a reduced flow rate ( and maybe no self prime) on oil. As it would be a centrifugal pump, it it flows too quick just use reduced diameter hose or a valve on either the pickup or output. NO, you won't burn it out doing this contrary to popular veg folk law Myth.

Of course the advantage of a gas or battery Voltage pump is that you don't need a mains connection and to be running leads if ever in the future you get a source that doesn't have power handy as I presume the place you have in mind now does.

I don't give a damn about what might or could happen until a significant group of people can tell me it HAS happened to them.
Until then, it's just more endless gloom and doom Veg folk law.
David

Postby tubular031 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:36 am

I was looking at gas pumps but right now I can not spend the $400+ on a pump. Last pick up I did was 500 gal and that will last me for a long while unless we take the truck to cali. I am not going to be using it enough to justify the cash right now. I see pool pumps on craigs all the time for $100 or less. Maybe Ill just wait a while till I need oil again.

David - I tried to build a SBC pump and had issues with getting it lined up right with the motor. The pump would spin fine but after a few seconds it would wobble and the shaft would jam from being a little crooked and stall the motor. I was using one of those lovejoy couplers like you are.

How did you mount the pump to your base? A weld? I need a more rigid way to attach the pump to the board I am using for a base. I got a piece of angle iron from work I am going to try after I get some longer bolts.
01 F350 CCLB SRW

Veggie conversion done!
http://www.burnveg.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=623
tubular031

Postby David » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:11 am

I made a youtube Video of the pump with with a description
Which can be found Here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8o52BYTEau4

I think this answers your questions but if not just ask whatever else you would like to know.

I don't give a damn about what might or could happen until a significant group of people can tell me it HAS happened to them.
Until then, it's just more endless gloom and doom Veg folk law.
David

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering