type of fuel pump for vw 1.6td 2 tank conversion....

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

type of fuel pump for vw 1.6td 2 tank conversion....

Postby voner » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:27 pm

I have decided that it's best to be safe and include a fuel pump in my two tank wvo design for a 1982 Vanagon with a 1.6 TD Jetta engine...

I'm really clueless here. I'm planning to try to heat the oil up plenty before it hits the fuel pump - but I'm not sure what type/design of fuel pump I should purchase. I'll probably search for a used one.

From what I have gathered by perusing this site and others is that I should put this pump after the three port select valve that selects between diesel and WVO just before the injection pump.

I would love to hear comments... I have no idea what PSI should be if it should be electrical or mechanical, etc.

Sunwizard - we live in the same place -- I should have came to your workshop at sustainable living fair. I gave a talk at the fair on "dumpster diving 101" - can you believe that? Not much to dumpster diving -- you go up to dumpster you look inside of it and you pull stuff out of it. But it seems that people want to go to a workshop for everything nowadays.

Anyway -- I love some comments and help on this.

Thanks!

timv a.k.a. Voner
voner

Postby SunWizard » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:28 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Yes I think its best to have a fuel lift pump. You need to learn if the stock system has a lift pump, and what pressure it is so you can get one thats close. I don't know much about that engine, and it may be modified since its not the original engine.

If your engine has a return, you need a valve to switch the return too. Its best to make a diagram of your plumbing. Here is a thread with my diagram for my truck and car (yours will be different):
http://www.burnveg.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion