94 Dodge Cummins. Sunwizard system questions

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

94 Dodge Cummins. Sunwizard system questions

Postby sonofthesun » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:51 pm

Hey, my name is Eric Solveson, Solveson is Son of the Sun in Norweigan. No pun intended for Following the Sun....:)

Wanted to say first off, thanks Sunwizard for all ur knowledge and that this forum is awesome!

I bought a 110gallon L-shaped STEEL tank yesterday from a farmer and I just read from Sunwizards post not to use steel. Should I not use steel because of the Poly buildup? I totally didnt think of that when I dropped $400 on it. Is there any way to still use it?

I've ordered all the parts from the list I found on Sunwizards post about his Benz. Had a list of all the other fittings I needed today but I lost it....

I've got 55 gallons of WVO in my garage dewatering and gettin ready to do the first filter session.

I'm trying to get everything installed and working well because I'll be moving back to Nederland,CO in December. How much insulation do I need Sunwizard? Did u use wrap around foam insulation? Do you use the NAPA 180 thermostat? My temp gauge is reading 160 max, think I should go hotter? You know how cold it gets in Ned.

I'll be starting the install tomorrow. Wish me luck. Thanks again to everyone here for comin out with some great info.

Peace be with you
sonofthesun

Re: 94 Dodge Cummins. Sunwizard system questions

Postby SunWizard » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:58 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum.
sonofthesun wrote:I bought a 110gallon L-shaped STEEL tank yesterday from a farmer and I just read from Sunwizards post not to use steel. Should I not use steel because of the Poly buildup?u

Yes, its more than a buildup, the VO gets thicker and clogs filters faster is the main issue.
Is there any way to still use it?

You could use it for long trips, but I wouldn't use one that big any other time since the VO sits in it for long times exposed to air which is the top 2 things needed for poly.
How much insulation do I need Sunwizard? Did u use wrap around foam insulation?

Yes, mostly after the FPHE where the VO is the most hot.
Do you use the NAPA 180 thermostat?

I used the stock NAPA one, and I get about 180F mostly.
My temp gauge is reading 160 max, think I should go hotter?

Yes.
I'll be starting the install tomorrow.

Have fun and good luck.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby sonofthesun » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:24 am

For now I'm going to have to use the 110 gallon big boy. I don't want to have to stop and find more grease on my way to Colorado so the 110 is the best bet for the long haul.

Once i get back to CO I'm find another small tank around 30-40 gallons made of Aluminum.

Alrighty, well just wanted to check ur response before I started the install.

I'm about to drill into the tank and install the coolant in and out lines and the veggie supply line.

I'll be using a 1" hole saw to match up to the compression fittings that I ordered for Mcmastercarr. Is there a special way to keep the metal shavings out of the tank? I'm just gonna try and use a magnet to collect what I can.

wish me luck. peaces
sonofthesun

Postby sonofthesun » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:07 pm

My tank only has 2.5" openings for the DC pump and the filler. I cant reach my hand inside the tank to use bulk head fittings.

Do I just need to have holes drilled out and steel tubes welded in?

Any advice on tank design? I have the same fittings Sunwizard has.

Thanks.
sonofthesun

Postby coachgeo » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:09 pm

read up on internal tank coatings. while you have the tank out if you can get it coated inside with the right stuff (after any welding I would assume) you might can eleminate and / or reduce the poly issue. As in then there would be a coating between metal and the oil thus no reaction between the two.

POR15 also makes tank coatings.
Life; It's all in the Balance

coachgeo

94 Cummins 2 tank

Postby sonofthesun » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:19 pm

right on thanks man. I was plannin on using POR15 to cover up some rust areas as well.

im not sure i have the time to coat the tank now. do u think I could use the tank for a trip out west, clean it and then coat it? or would the oil be too much for the coating to stick to? ive got good oil right now that's not poly'ing even after a few weeks on other steel parts.

right now im in the middle of my install, the tank is going to be cut and welded tomorrow. i've got the FPHE and the filter mounted and the coolant lines run for the most part.

tryin to figure out the exact line layout for the three manual valves in the cab.

its goin slow but im gettin there. thanks again for everyones great info.
sonofthesun

Postby coachgeo » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:05 pm

There's guys in here much more up to date on Poly than I. I'm sure they will chime in.

Would make since to me though that if you coat the tank innerds... get good advice on how the coating might be affected by natural oils like veg and possibly Biodiesel in case you ever get a load and what to put it (or not) into that tank. Something a salesman wont be able to answer.

How much room for air is in your steel tanks with oil in them? How much and aften are they heated? Thats two more ingredients if I recall right neccissary for Poly building. Might be why you dont have it in those tanks. Then again there are those who feel the whole polly thing is a bit exagurated.... so read up and decide for yourself is all I can advice.
Life; It's all in the Balance

coachgeo

Postby SunWizard » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:18 pm

sonofthesun wrote:My tank only has 2.5" openings for the DC pump and the filler. I cant reach my hand inside the tank to use bulk head fittings.

Do I just need to have holes drilled out and steel tubes welded in?

Any advice on tank design?

Make a hole big enough to get your hand in, its useful for many things.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Re: 94 Cummins 2 tank

Postby SunWizard » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:29 pm

sonofthesun wrote:do u think I could use the tank for a trip out west, clean it and then coat it?

Coatings often create more problems by flaking off than the metal accelerating poly so I wouldn't do it. Your main problem by far is the large size far more than the steel. See the polymerization thread here for lots more info. As I said above, good for long trips, bad for any other time.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion