1998 Dodge Cummins WVO conversion valve question

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

1998 Dodge Cummins WVO conversion valve question

Postby paulkrohn1 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:50 pm

I installed my WVO system in my 12V CTD just as you designed. However, I installed a coolant heated WVO filter purchased from FryBrid. My WVO temps stay within ten degrees of my coolant temperature. Honestly, I wish she would run hotter because my WVO temps are rarely above 160 when its' below 40 degrees outside. Here's my problem: I've been using the manual iboat 3/8 brass valves for approx ten months now. About three months ago and approx. ten thousand miles running WVO, I had the filter manual valve fail. The valve started to get more difficult to turn then finally the stem stripped away from the ball valve. When I took it apart it also looked as if the ball valve had dropped from the seat that supports it allowing the stem to strip from it. I replaced it with another iboat valve and today after experiencing the same things as last time the valve is now stuck on the Diesel filter port. Good for me this time because at least I can drive it. I've noticed lately as well that all three valve are operating hard when I switch to Diesel however, operate fine when switching to WVO and the valves are much cooler.

Do you have any idea why I'm having this trouble with the iboat valves? McMaster has other robust valves but the stems are not long enough. I like the manual valve system you designed which has been trouble free for me until now.
98 12 Valve, BHAF, Fuel Plate, conversion in-process
paulkrohn1

Postby dark_flame221 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:35 pm

sorry for hikacing, but what do you mean by d2 filter port ?, i know it's related to to filter valve but ?
dark_flame221

Postby SunWizard » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:36 pm

I don't know what could be causing it. My valves have been fine for 3.5 years, 40k miles. I would examine the failed valves to determine why they got hard to turn, is there any poly build up or particles in them?
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby paulkrohn1 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:42 am

dark-flame221, I use three way valves which have three ports. The lift pumps pushes either the D2 (diesel) or the WVO through the filter valve to the selected port that I choose depending what fuel I'm running. When it failed I was purging off of WVO and the valve stuck on the diesel filter side saving me a tow truck call. Last time it stuck (same valve) it closed both ports off starving the fuel injector pump.

SunWizard, I saw no ploy in the last valve. I'm using a aluminum tank, HIH and always top the tank off at the end of the week. I use soybean oil and my polishing filter is 2 micron. I never use questionable oil and purge long enough to clear both valves. I will disassemble the valve and try to examine the best I can and post pictures. Thank you Sir.
paulkrohn1

Postby SunWizard » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:53 am

It appears something is getting in your valve, since normally with wear the clearance between moving parts would get looser, not tighter over time. Another thing pointing to this is since its the supply valve only, not the others with the problem, even though the other valves probably see hotter VO. But they are after the filter.

You could try putting a clear inline filter before your valve to both protect it and see if you are getting any poly or particles.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby paulkrohn1 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:10 pm

Yes your right it sure seems like I'm getting debris somewhere. I'll check out the steel filler neck on my tank. I have heard of others having a lot of poly build up on those. And the hotfox heated fuel pickup also has a copper insert but it's not exposed to air and I usually purge longer than I should and push D2 into the WVO tank. I know this because I can smell the D2. I'll try the filter before the valves as well. BTW ..it's my filter valve that has failed twice. The supply and purge valve are turning ok so far.

Thanks again ..I'll post my findings.
paulkrohn1

Postby paulkrohn1 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:51 am

Manual valve update:
I replaced my manual filter valve for the second time in twelve months and found no poly build up or debris. I noticed the nylon ball valve had dropped once again partially blocking off the normally closed ports. So, in doing that it makes the valve harder to operate and it eventually strips the valve stem away from the ball valve. I'm still not sure what could be causing this. I know SunWizard said he has been trouble free for 3 1/2 years with virtually the same system.

I know there is more robust valves out there that have stainless steel components but are very pricey. Plus ...the valve stem are not long enough to operate when placing them on the floor of the truck. Any comments welcome....
paulkrohn1

Postby paulkrohn1 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:10 pm

Ok...here's the pic of the manual iboat valves I use on my WVO system. I tried to compare the good one on the left with the one that failed on the right.

As you can see the nylon ball valve has dropped in the seat. This in turn makes the valve hard to operate. It will eventually strip the top nylon ball valve and break the grooves allowing the stem to break free from the valve. However, It is only hard to operate when it is hot after running VO. When I switch to VO from D2 the valve operate fine. The valve showed no poly or any contamination.

http://s981.photobucket.com/albums/ae291/paulkrohn/
paulkrohn1

Postby SunWizard » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:35 am

paulkrohn1 wrote:As you can see the nylon ball valve has dropped in the seat.

Sorry I can't see that very well since I don't know where the "seat" is. I also can't see the grooves you mention. I can see that the nylon hole doesn't line up with the brass hole as it should. Do you have a way to take the nylon part out, or cut it open (hacksaw?) to see what has happened under the nylon part, what you may be calling the seat?

I wonder could the nylon part of the valve changed shape from heat over time? The strange thing with that idea is that its only the supply valve and it gets cooler VO than the other 2 valves.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Re: 1998 Dodge Cummins WVO conversion valve question

Postby centrifuge marty » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:58 am

I just read this post, I know that it is old but it is the only place that someone has the same problem exactly as me.
I too converted my 96 Cummins using plant drive vm2 heated filter 30 fphe hot fox in the tank and the 3 iboat Moeller 3 way valves. For 3 months no issues ran flawless valves started to get tighter and tighter till one day purging it stripped out stuck in the wvo filter side. Lucky I was able to purge the whole system out with diesel and now run on diesel till my new valves come in.
I phoned Fairview fittings as they have a 3 way valve with the long stem that is rated for 180 deg continuous and 30 psi and he said those numbers are generous, we can go much more than that and be safe.
part no. is frv 2101 c I phoned Fairview fittings direct and got their wholesale price of 17.60 ea. online they are 63$ ea. I should have them here in the next couple of weeks and put in. I sure hope they work as it sucks using diesel as I live in northern B.C Canada and diesel is nearly $7 a gal
1996 Dodge Cummins extended cab 4x4
2-Tank veg oil conversion based on sunwizard design
Plantdrive VM2 filter, 30 fphe, arctic fox in tank heater, manual valves
I love The Smell
centrifuge marty

Re: 1998 Dodge Cummins WVO conversion valve question

Postby centrifuge marty » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:35 am

I received my new valves from Fairview fittings frv 2101c, and they work great.
They turn like silk compared to the moeller 3 way valves from iboats. I have driven 3000 kms since I installed the new valves and so far no issues.
What a pain in the ass to change those valves out they are manifolded together underneath in my tranny tunnel and come through into the cab so when you disconnect the lines oil and diesel flows all over your arms and hands all over the floor, so I hope these ones last longer as I don't want to do this again.
1996 Dodge Cummins extended cab 4x4
2-Tank veg oil conversion based on sunwizard design
Plantdrive VM2 filter, 30 fphe, arctic fox in tank heater, manual valves
I love The Smell
centrifuge marty

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion