New oil source less than perfect

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

New oil source less than perfect

Postby rkpatt » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:36 am

Unfortunately, my supplier of canola for 4+ years closed . I have recently secured 2 new sources (Chicken fast food rest and, bar/grill . Neither is close to what I previously had but I don't want to complain . However. I am not used to handling WVO that will not pour well at temperatures below 50 deg F and am seeking advice concerning heating cubies for transferring , coarse prefiltering and gravity settling before processing with minimal additional electricity usage .

-Thanks
rkpatt

Postby 240Volvo » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:12 am

what kind of system are you running this oil in?
1984 Volvo 240 diesel with a single tank Elsbett conversion: electric fuel filter heater, FPHE, glow plugs, and injectors. Also injector line heaters and block heater, running 20%kero/80%WVO winter blend.
240Volvo

Postby coachgeo » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:24 pm

Have not tried this so its just a guess but maybe putting a halogen light bulb close will warm it enough to flow better. Experement with how close you can put it w/out over heating plastic. Maybe a layer of black something or tin foil to spread the heat across the whole side of the cubie your light is aimed at. Might help reduce the heat going all to one spot and causing issue with the plastic
Life; It's all in the Balance

coachgeo

Postby David » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:19 am

Sounds like you have a good concentration of fats in your oil.
I would put the oil in a drum or IBC and let it sit. The oil will come to the top and be usable at the ambient temps and as the weather warms, more fats will turn to usable oil.

The longer you leave the stuff, the better. I now have 5 IBCs I settle my oil in which means I'm only rotating them about once a year. Even after a few months, the oil settles out so clean there is minimal rubbish to filter from it and my filters last for several thousand litres of oil and more.

What I am working towards is doing the bulk of my processing in summer when the weather is warm and the oil is easy to handle and fast to dry. I then put it away and use it as I need it in the coldest months.

Because I am keeping my tanks shaded despite being outside, I found very little fat settled out from the finished oil tank last winter with the main deposits remaining in the initial settling tanks.

In my experience, even questionable oil will clean up fine with a good long settle and through drying. The main difference is the amount of crap that remains behind but when you have to take what you can get, its a lot better to have something rather than nothing.

I don't give a damn about what might or could happen until a significant group of people can tell me it HAS happened to them.
Until then, it's just more endless gloom and doom Veg folk law.
David

Postby SunWizard » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:01 am

David wrote:What I am working towards is doing the bulk of my processing in summer when the weather is warm and the oil is easy to handle and fast to dry. I then put it away and use it as I need it in the coldest months.

That is what I have been doing, and its a simple way to minimize electric usage.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby David » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:01 am

One thing I am -sort- of thinking about for the oil drying is to solar heat it.
The idea I have in mind is to make a tube of black builders plastic along a 60ft long roof line I have and put a car radiator and fan at the end. I will have the fan such the hot air through the radiator that the oil is passing through.

On a good hot 40oC day, I reckon there would be a lot of energy that could be put in the oil like that and the drying process sped up significantly.

Of course the catch is, who the hell wants to be outside mucking round with drying oil on a stinking hot day?

Might default to my Oil fired boiler instead http://www.youtube.com/user/glumpy10#p/a/u/1/ZJcrPi4TUJs

I don't give a damn about what might or could happen until a significant group of people can tell me it HAS happened to them.
David

Postby rkpatt » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:38 am

"Sounds like you have a good concentration of fats in your oil. " - Yes, it appears to be lots chicken fat in peanut oil . It is very different than the Asian restaurant canola I used to get.

I appreciate the replies . I will try to take advantage of solar heat first the I might try the light bulb or electric heater in an insulated box if that doesn't work . Fortunately , the really cold temperatures are pretty short term
where I am ( metro Atlanta, GA) and these new sources very easy to deal with be fine when things warm up . I still am also on the lookout for another canola source .

- Thanks
rkpatt

Postby merk » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:49 am

I too just lost my 5+ year source of canola, the medical center got rid of their fryers to force the employees to eat better, they were pissed. I did pickup a new source, but not nearly as much. In winter i try to avoid processing in sub 0 F temps, but easily process at 25-30 without a problem.
Merk
03 TDI 12 gal marine tank in trunk w/copper heat excahnger no intank connections, coolant heated copper coiled fuel filter, HIH, two 3 port fuel valves
merk

Postby David » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:43 am

With the huge decline in the popularity of veg ATM, picking up another source should not be too difficult in most places.

I was talking to a friend from the county the other night that was having great trouble getting anything 18 months ago and is now about the only person in 100KM interested in the stuff and has places that the collectors were using stand over tactics on now ringing and begging him to come and get it because they can't get rid of it any other way.

I think we have hit the low point of Veg demand and i see signs that with the price of Dino starting to creep up again that the demand may be on the rise. While I don't think it will ever get to the situation it was before with it becoming so scarce, I do think it would be wise for Veggers to get in and start making formal arrangements with suppliers before the Bar$tard collectors start coming in with their contracts and trying to out the backyarder's.

Now is the time to hit the suppliers up when they are looking to get rid of the stuff and will be keen to sign up for 3 years to eliminate their problems.

Having regular suppliers will also make things much easier and workable for the veggers as well.

David

Postby Zulu » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:00 am

It is great, because here in South Africa we had the same thing, when the oil was up at $150 a barrel, every man and his mother-in-law were making bio diesel. Now, that the fuel price has really come down, they are going bust, with the result that oil is more available to the WVO runners, and now all the cards that I dropped off at places, are getting me calls.... BUT, they still try and push their luck and ask ZAR80 per 20L.... he he, sorry, but I will come and collect it, or tell the Municipality that you are dumping it down the drain..... have never had it as good as now, oil oil oil everywhere.
Living in Africa, Driving on the goodness of the Sun and the rain, and loving every Km of it!!

72000 Km on the greasy stuff already... Oh Africa.. such a nice place to live!!!
Zulu

Postby rkpatt » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:25 pm

Yes, I need to get out there and diligently search for more suitable VWO for winter and save this high fat oil for warmer weather .
rkpatt

Postby David » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:54 pm

I made a wonderful Faux-Par last weekend. I diligently got up early and headed off to one of my best suppliers and found a 500L tank full of the nicest oil I get.

I put 8, 25L plastic drums in the boot of the merc and pump into them.
Being a double lot of oil available, I brought the first lot home, unloaded them in the driveway and refilled with some emptys and headed out again for another 200L of Liquid gold.

Later in the day, I filled the 200L barrel I have in the driveway that is piped to a pump on the other side of the house and I use to fill the IBC's I use for settling tanks.

I walked round to put the hose in an IBC and found they were all Full. I checked the 5 Barrels I have round there and they were all full too. I remembered some barrel right up the back of the yard behind the sheds that were empty but I apparently filled them some ( distant) time ago and forgot that as well!

All this oil and no where to put it! Oh what a predicament! :lol:

Normally I would just leave the oil in the small drums but I promised the Mrs I would clean up a lot of the clutter that was down there and wanted to make it tidy and clear of obstacles myself.
I had a little space in the IBC I used for finished oil so that would cover about 200L after I did a batch from the second settling tank.

I reloaded the car and headed out to a friend place with a contribution to the next Bio Batch. When I got there, I found him unloading a ute full of oil another vegger had rung him to come and get as they too were full to capacity. I also discovered that my friend had picked up an unusually good supply from his own sources thanks to Christmas Holidays so in the last month has also gone from empty to Full Capacity of 2K L Plus has prefilled his 1000L reactor to make some more space.

It's about the nicest mistake I have ever made thinking I had less oil than what I actually did!

David

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering