94 Cummins Runs then dies

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

94 Cummins Runs then dies

Postby sonofthesun » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:18 pm

Hey just got done installing a 2-Tank Sunwizard system on my 94 Ram Cummins.

I put 25 gallons of winter diesel in my 110 gallon tank then switched the tank valve over from my stock tank to the AUX tank (Veg Tank).

I tried to hand pump the Veg Tank fuel by pumping the stock lift pump (since i dont have a place to hook up a tire pump like Sunwizards) and I saw plenty fuel coming out of the bleeder bolt so I assumed it was primed on the veggie side.

It ran for a short period of time then the engine slowly died after about a minute of runnin off of the veg tank. I can start it back up but only for a short while with lots of smoke while on the stock tank.

Bled the injectors one at a time but forgot to bleed the stock diesel filter first.

Is there just some air trapped as I assume?

Can you prime the Veg Tank lines with the stock Lift Pump? How long should I pump the button?

I'll take all the help I can get.

I don't have internet access at my place nor a garage (at least not 2night).

It's gettin real cold and I'm tryin to leave for Colorado!

Thanks again all,

Eric Solveson
sonofthesun

Re: 94 Cummins Runs then dies

Postby SunWizard » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:47 pm

Yes that sounds like trapped air or an air leak.
sonofthesun wrote:I saw plenty fuel coming out of the bleeder bolt so I assumed it was primed on the veggie side.

What bleeder bolt? Hopefully its at the highest point, like the bleeder on top of the stock D2 filter. You need all the air out of both sides of the system. Make sure your return isn't looped.
Can you prime the Veg Tank lines with the stock Lift Pump?

Yes.
How long should I pump the button?

Until all the air is gone. If you have air all through the system it will be a lot of pumping. A clear inline filter that you move around to different places is the easy way to observe where you have air. You could also unhook the return, and put it into a clear jug, pump the manual primer, and observe if you get any fuel or air. A fuel pressure guage before the IP is very useful for this, what is your pressure when its running?
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Good to go

Postby sonofthesun » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:28 pm

turns out my giant 110 gallon L-shaped tank wasnt filled up enough, so I when i went up hills or around corners the fuel moved away from the pickup line.

I now have my tank filled with 50/50 Diesel/WVO!!!

Thanks Sunwizard! And everyone else who helped me threw this. It's a been tough but it was well worth it!

Gotta work out a few more qinks and I should be good.
sonofthesun

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion