1994 Ram Runs then dies

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

1994 Ram Runs then dies

Postby sonofthesun » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:56 pm

Hey guys!

My truck was runnin great on WVO for about 100 miles or so. I then added a bunch more VO and Diesel to about a 50/50 blend.

I filtered down to about 10 microns and then 5 microns on most of the VO.

I was in a rush tryin to drive out to Colorado and didnt take much time filtering 50 Gallons of VO.

My truck ran great for a while but now after about 10 miles it stalls and dies.

Do you think its the filter plugging up that causes the Cummins to stall out?

Replace the filter and refilter the VO/Diesel blend?

I'm going to pump the blend back through some filters with my 3 HP gas trash pump, slowly. Down to 2 Micron this time.

Sound like that should fix it right?
sonofthesun

Postby SunWizard » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:48 am

Did you do a hot pan test for water? That will clog the filter quicker, and is harder to remove since no filters work. That is most likely the problem.

The next most likely thing is an air leak, you can move a clear inline filter around to see if and where you have air.

What is your fuel pressure reading? That is the most useful way to decide if the filter is plugging and many other issues.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby sonofthesun » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:21 pm

I did hot pan and the tests were pretty damn good. But I was in sucha rush. It was midnight and snowing and I was trying to leave for Colorado the next morning. So I think I fucked up with not filtering and dewatering carefully enough.

As soon as I get $1,200 im gettin the Absolute CFuge but until then do you think I'd be able to suck the blend out of the tank into some drums and throw the bucket heater in there?

I know it's dangerous but I dont have much of a choice.

Will this still help remove water through evaporation and settling?

You guys are great, keep up the good work.

Thanks again,
Eric
sonofthesun

Postby SunWizard » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:51 pm

sonofthesun wrote:Will this still help remove water through evaporation and settling?

Not really unless you settle for weeks, and know the tricks of very slow cooling, and you are not dealing with PHO which is harder to dewater.

Does it run fine on the D2 tank and filter? If so then you may have an air leak on the VO side.

First idea is do more hot pan tests (although after its a blend, it may never be able to be pan tested, then you need to use some other non blend VO.) If there isn't water, settling isn't the fix.

For testing on my truck before I put any VO in, I ran on D2 in both tanks for a 100 miles. Then you know if its your VO or your plumbing.

Plus do the other 2 steps I listed above.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby sonofthesun » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:59 pm

I have run D2 in my Veg tank with no problems.

I have run VO in my Veg Tank with no problems.

After I added an additional 80 gallons of D2/VO blend to the tank the truck started having problems.

It would run fine for about 10 miles then slowly stall out once I switched over to VO on all valves.

I don't believe there's any air leaks because both D2 and VO sides ran great prior to the additional blend.

I think there's probably some bad oil that got pushed through my filters too quickly as well as some water or possibly suspended water that contaiminated my VO tank.

I just sucked all 100 gallons of blend out of the VO tank into 2 poly drums (while it was 9 degrees F outside!!!!)

I really really don't want to waste this fuel.

So heating the blend won't help remove any water? I know i cant remove suspended water but I thought it might help throwing the bucket heater in one of the barrels, i'm just a little scared of a giant explosion.

So I can't pan test....

Does anyone have any experience with "Quick N' Dry"?

One website i checked took it out of their inventory which leads me to believe that the product isn't what it seems....

Seems like almost the only way to go is to find a CF to thoroughly clean the blend.

Anyone have any other ideas on removing water from a VO/D2 blend?

any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again
sonofthesun

Postby SunWizard » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:01 am

sonofthesun wrote:So heating the blend won't help remove any water?

Not unless you study and learn how to do it, and take many weeks, as I said in your other thread where you ask this same question. There is no benefit to running a blend in your VO tank and you just learned 1 big drawback.

It sounds more like an air leak or a kinked hose than a clogged filter, since as filters clog you lose power only under hard acceleration for many miles before it quits running completely. A pressure guage would show you a lot about this.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby sonofthesun » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:50 pm

alright, well thanks sunwizard i appreciate your help.

You said there's no benefit to running a blend of VO/D2?

When it's 6 degrees out doesn't having winter D2 blended with your VO help with stopping the VO from gelling up?

Sorry I asked the same question twice. I'm just trying to get things clear.

Thank you for your patience.
sonofthesun

Postby coachgeo » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:31 pm

if this is the first real cold this VO system has been in it leads me to think its a fuel too thick due to cold issue. Save it till summer and try it then. Ifffff your positive no water in it.

Maybe you can find someone with a diesel craft set up to spin that oil with.
Life; It's all in the Balance

coachgeo

Postby jburke » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:40 am

Hi George,
Good idea about the fuel being too thick. The poster didn't mention what temp the fuel and filter and ip was when he switched.

OTOH, my VW TDI cold starts fine on a 50/50 blend of D2 and virgin canola @ 10*F. But if I try the same blend with 1u cold filtered WVO, it has limited fuel flow through the filter and stalls. Fats maybe?
jburke

Postby SunWizard » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:12 am

sonofthesun wrote:When it's 6 degrees out doesn't having winter D2 blended with your VO help with stopping the VO from gelling up?

Yes but if you are running a 2 tank rig designed like mine, your VO is always >120F at the filter and >160F at the IP. At these temps it makes no difference, even with PHO. If you didn't follow my design, then you would need to tell us where you changed it.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby sonofthesun » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:37 pm

Right on. I have the same design as yours. I tried to follow your instructions exactly.

I'm going to find more oil and just have that blend centrifuged once I have access to one.

I guess I'll just use SVO for this next go round.

I will let you know how everything works out. I'm sure it'll be fine once I switch the filter and add new clean dry oil.

Once again. Thank you for your time and energy.
sonofthesun

Postby coachgeo » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:49 pm

sonofthesun wrote:Right on. I have the same design as yours. I tried to follow your instructions exactly. ....
and you have verified the temps are similar to Sun's or are you assuming?

Not sure which answer you give will be better.

"Yes temps similar" means you definitely have issues with that batch of oil.

"Assuming; I have not checked".. "OK just did" .. "oops, I got lower tems" well this means its possibly good oil and you've identified a problem you didn't know existed and you get to fix it before it causes other problems.
Life; It's all in the Balance

coachgeo

Postby sonofthesun » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:05 am

I haven't verified the temps yet. I still need to install my temp sensor after the FPHE to verify the temps.

I have however ran the truck and it's coolant lines for well over 40 miles, enough to heat the oil to at least 140 degrees F.

My first couple of runs were great. After I added the blend, I mixed in some fats/water accidently.

Since I finally have access to a garage today, I can add my Fuel Pressure and Temp gauges after I suck up some new oil to filter and dewater.

Then i will be able to read if it's the filter clogging (which I'm sure it is because the truck dies after accelerating for a while) or if its a leak in the system that just came on all of the sudden.

The temp gauge will also help me read if the oil's getting hot enough, which as Sunwizard says, If I have my system set-up the same way as his, then I'm definantly hot enough.

wish me luck, peace be with you all
sonofthesun

VO Filter Micron

Postby sonofthesun » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:45 am

Hey Sunwizard, is your Cim-Tek 200 series a 10 Micron or 30 Micron in your vehicles system?
sonofthesun

Re: VO Filter Micron

Postby SunWizard » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:32 pm

sonofthesun wrote:Hey Sunwizard, is your Cim-Tek 200 series a 10 Micron or 30 Micron in your vehicles system?

SunWizard
Site Admin

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion