Getting ready for collecting oil

If new, go here first. Beginner questions, Forum help, suggestions and more FAQ.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Getting ready for collecting oil

Postby kkcattle » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:21 pm

I,ve been looking and studying this forum and others about WVO as fuel, for some time. I am now starting to get more anxious to get started. My first step is to see where and how much oil I can collect. I know proably the eaistest way to get started is to have the resturant put back the used oil in the container they bought it in, but realize that they may not be able to do it that way, because of wanting to dispose of the oil while still hot. Will I need to furnish funnels for them to use to fill the containers up. Anyone have any suggestions of items that I may want to have on hand before I approach resturants asking about their WVO. What about libility issues if oil is spilled and some slips at the resturant, will I need some type of insurance?
kkcattle

Postby SunWizard » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:01 pm

Around here most of the restaurants use several 55 gallon metal barrels, with removable metal lids. I think for most places the liability is on the restaurants since its on their property which they have insured. Thats an issue to ask a lawyer since it will vary from place to place. Common sense says if you make a spill, you clean it up, if they make a spill they clean it up.

Some people and rendering companies sign a contract with restaurants to make those issues clear. This may create more lawsuits than it prevents, but few lawyers would tell you that.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby John Galt » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:44 pm

Before you do anything, go talk to restaurants and see if you can get any used oil and how they would like to work with you.

My suppliers put the used oil into cubies or buckets, for me to pick up on oil change day. I usually have lunch while I'm there.
Last edited by John Galt on Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Galt

Postby leftcoastjeff » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:18 pm

I leave 2- 5 gal buckets with lids at the restaurant, I collect the empty, clean cubies to put the oil in after I filter it.

Works pretty good if they don't throw away the cubies....

LCjeff
'87F-250 stock, minus that pesky water seporator/air inlet, bone stock for now.

Thomas Edison says it best, “Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work”.
leftcoastjeff

Return to Beginners section and FAQ