Cold weather filtering?

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Cold weather filtering?

Postby organick » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:09 pm

I am going to be building either a standpipe setup or a frybrid still type setup. The only place I have to filter is an unheated shed. The temps drop below freezing routinely and often the daytime highs are only low 40's. My question is will I still be able to filter in the winter or will the oild get to cold to pump after the 5-7 day settling period? Although I have read with the still it only needs to settle overnight?? ( not sure why that is?) If anyone has some input or advice on which system to use, why the still settles for such a short time, or anything I mentioned I would greatly appreciate it .
organick

Postby John Galt » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:28 pm

If you've already limited your choices to those two then you won't be interested in this:
http://www.burnveg.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9
it's way too simple.
John Galt

Postby David » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:33 am

I explained this on another forum that you had a dummy spit at me on.
I explained that you were not providing near enough information for anyone to give you a remotely accurate answer and the only way you were going to find out was to do your own experimentation.

Exactly what is it you don't understand and have now posted the same question on at least 4 different forums that I know of and had your question answered on 3 of them?

As I already said, there are no set answers in an experimental field with infinite variables especially when you are asking a question on which you seem to refuse to provide the relevant details but are going from one forum to another wanting the answer no one but you can provide.

I tell you what, here's an answer as qualified as any given the lack of information you have provided, although been made aware of on other forums several times.

Yes, you'll be fine.

Now I hope that puts your concerns to rest and you can get on with it or give the idea away whichever you prefer.

I don't give a damn about what might or could happen until a significant group of people can tell me it HAS happened to them.
Until then, it's just more endless gloom and doom Veg folk law.
David

Postby SunWizard » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:32 am

It all depends on the type and quality of your VO. The still settles for so short since thats the only way it works, since if you turn on the heat again it mixes the water up again. It doesn't work for many people, and it doesn't work for me here in CO. Same problems with a standpipe, only worse since the VO may be so thick that the water never settles.

Yes it will probably get too thick to pump if you settle for 5 days, depending on your VO type and the temps. And how good is your pump?
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby organick » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:21 pm

John Galt wrote:If you've already limited your choices to those two then you won't be interested in this:
http://www.burnveg.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9
it's way too simple.

John,

Its not that I am limited to those 2 ideas. I have read about the cold upflow and the issue I have is that where I live also gets very warm and humid in the summer time. 90+ days are very common and I was worried that the system would not work during hotter temperatures?? I am open to any suggesstions and thak you for your input.
organick

Postby organick » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:24 pm

David wrote:I explained this on another forum that you had a dummy spit at me on.
I explained that you were not providing near enough information for anyone to give you a remotely accurate answer and the only way you were going to find out was to do your own experimentation.

Exactly what is it you don't understand and have now posted the same question on at least 4 different forums that I know of and had your question answered on 3 of them?

As I already said, there are no set answers in an experimental field with infinite variables especially when you are asking a question on which you seem to refuse to provide the relevant details but are going from one forum to another wanting the answer no one but you can provide.

I tell you what, here's an answer as qualified as any given the lack of information you have provided, although been made aware of on other forums several times.

Yes, you'll be fine.

Now I hope that puts your concerns to rest and you can get on with it or give the idea away whichever you prefer.

I am really not sure why you seem to have such contempt for people asking questions on multiple forums. I am trying to do it the right way and not damage my vehicle. Instead of just ranting about what I am doign you could.
1-ignore the post.
2- tell me what else you need to know to help answer my questions
3- Provide your opinion on what may work as several others have.
organick

Postby organick » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:26 pm

SunWizard wrote:It all depends on the type and quality of your VO. The still settles for so short since thats the only way it works, since if you turn on the heat again it mixes the water up again. It doesn't work for many people, and it doesn't work for me here in CO. Same problems with a standpipe, only worse since the VO may be so thick that the water never settles.

Yes it will probably get too thick to pump if you settle for 5 days, depending on your VO type and the temps. And how good is your pump?

So maybe I am missing something with the still but I thought it seemed like basically a pre made standpipe setup? The oil gets heated and then gravity filters down the water and carp to the bootom??

Can I ask you what does work for you in colorado? and does it work all year? during the cold and hot months?
organick

Postby David » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:19 pm

organick wrote:
David wrote: Instead of just ranting about what I am doign you could.

I already did!
The same as others have.... a week ago! How many times do you want the same question answered and how many times are you going to question the answers?

Yet you are still posting a question to which you have already been made aware of the missing information and have posed the question here after you were made aware of the fact on other sites!!

I did that as well but you still don't seem to be pacified.

Your question has already been asked and answered
Here: http://www.biofuelsforum.com/svo_users/7650-standpipe_other_filter_dewatering_system.html

Here: http://www.frybrid.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15365

And Here: http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/159605551/m/928109163

Were there any other places you asked it that I have missed? Perhaps you may like to provide links and bring me p to speed if there were.

Obviously you are starting out in the veg game and there will be a lot more you will want to find out. I'm just wondering, will you be asking every question you have 4 times ( or more) even when you have been provided with the answers?

Perhaps you would waste less peoples time if you told us what the answer your looking for is and then we can go from there. :roll:

As I have already said to you ( twice) No one can give you definitive answers or guarantees, you have to experiment yourself to see what works with your oil and the conditions you are processing it in.
If you can't pump your oil from one drum to another, that isn't going to hurt your vehicle so I don't see what that has to do with your indignant comments.

There is a significant risk in running your vehicle on oil, and no one can give you absolute answers or guarantees.
If a guarantee is what your looking for, go buy a toaster.

I don't give a damn about what might or could happen until a significant group of people can tell me it HAS happened to them.
Until then, it's just more endless gloom and doom Veg folk law.
David

Postby organick » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:23 am

David wrote:
organick wrote:
David wrote: Instead of just ranting about what I am doign you could.

I already did!
The same as others have.... a week ago! How many times do you want the same question answered and how many times are you going to question the answers?

Yet you are still posting a question to which you have already been made aware of the missing information and have posed the question here after you were made aware of the fact on other sites!!

I did that as well but you still don't seem to be pacified.

Your question has already been asked and answered
Here: http://www.biofuelsforum.com/svo_users/7650-standpipe_other_filter_dewatering_system.html

Here: http://www.frybrid.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15365

And Here: http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/159605551/m/928109163

Were there any other places you asked it that I have missed? Perhaps you may like to provide links and bring me p to speed if there were.

Obviously you are starting out in the veg game and there will be a lot more you will want to find out. I'm just wondering, will you be asking every question you have 4 times ( or more) even when you have been provided with the answers?

Perhaps you would waste less peoples time if you told us what the answer your looking for is and then we can go from there. :roll:

As I have already said to you ( twice) No one can give you definitive answers or guarantees, you have to experiment yourself to see what works with your oil and the conditions you are processing it in.
If you can't pump your oil from one drum to another, that isn't going to hurt your vehicle so I don't see what that has to do with your indignant comments.

There is a significant risk in running your vehicle on oil, and no one can give you absolute answers or guarantees.
If a guarantee is what your looking for, go buy a toaster.

Have you nothing better to do than attempt to criticize? As I said before you could simply ignore the post. It's not as if I am calling your house. Plenty of people have been and continue to be much more helpful than you chose to be so I wonder why you bother responding?

You seem like a quite agressive person and I honestly have no use for your comments so kindly please stop posting on my threads.
organick

Postby kirkharrod » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:02 am

I just set my cubies in the house overnight and they are liquid enough to pump.
2002 Ford F-250 7.3 L
kirkharrod

Postby SunWizard » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:54 am

organick wrote:Can I ask you what does work for you in colorado? and does it work all year? during the cold and hot months?

See the thread here about my dieselcraft CF. Yes it works good all year, no settling and no filter cartridges needed.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering