Where do I buy new SVO in bulk in San Francisco area?

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Where do I buy new SVO in bulk in San Francisco area?

Postby kevin » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:09 pm

Hello,

I am new to all of this. I am considering buying a 2000-2006 VW Golf TDI and installing an http://www.elsbett.com/ single tank system. These one tank systems are only warranted if used with new vegetable oil. I see I can buy 35 pound boxes of new oil at Costco, but that seems like not the best solution.

Wouldn't it be better to find an oil wholesaler that would allow me to buy in 55 gallon drums or 275 gallon totes? I have spent over an hour on Google looking for a way to buy oil in such quantities, but I have come up with nothing. I found BulkOil.com, but that site is not friendly, and they seem to show lots of exotic oils like pumpkin oil. It also appears that site is about buying rail cars or ships full of oil, not individual drums or totes. Am I just not using that site correctly?

If I am successful with getting a Golf TDI to run on SVO, I am then going to want to power my RV bus conversion with SVO. This 40 foot bus takes 100+ gallons to fill up, so buying boxes of oil at Costco is going to be cumbersome.

Finally, if I buy new oil, do I need to filter and dewater it, or is it ready to go?

Note that currently I am not considering collecting my own WVO, as I live in San Francisco, so I presume the biodiesel sellers have locked up via contract all the good sources of oil long ago. Also, I don't have the time or space to process the oil myself. I am not doing this project to save money. I am willing to pay more than diesel prices. But I want the experience to be as easy and trouble free as possible. I do have space to store a tote or two of new oil, however.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Kevin
kevin

Re: Where do I buy new SVO in bulk in San Francisco area?

Postby SunWizard » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:03 am

Hi and welcome to the forum.
kevin wrote:These one tank systems are only warranted if used with new vegetable oil.

The warranty isn't worth much, ask a lawyer. How would they ever know what kind of VO you ran? The most it might cover was a tiny portion of their parts, not any expensive damage to your engine. And how much would it cost to prove it was their parts and not ordinary wear, or water got into your new barrel of VO or something else? The big damage is if you go too long between oil changes (which should be 2x as often on VO) you can get VO in the crankcase, it polymerizes after a while, you get 0 oil pressure and require a complete rebuild or new engine. This can occur just the same with new or used VO. Its the main drawback to single tank systems since most of the VO that gets in the crankcase does it in the first few minutes after each cold start.
Wouldn't it be better to find an oil wholesaler that would allow me to buy in 55 gallon drums or 275 gallon totes?

They only sell those to businesses that have a forklift for unloading. How would you do this? A semi truck isn't going to sit there while you pump it out of their truck.
Finally, if I buy new oil, do I need to filter and dewater it, or is it ready to go?

Ready to go.
I presume the biodiesel sellers have locked up via contract all the good sources of oil long ago.

Untrue, many bio places have gone out of business lately and there are many places too small for them to want. Many restaurants here prefer to support local and give it to a person instead of a big company who often ships it overseas. They prefer me so much they are willing to end their contracts with the big co. I have had to turn down several places who wanted me to collect from them lately.
I do have space to store a tote or two of new oil, however.

That is more than enough space to process your own VO, which is worth it instead of paying around $5/gallon for new VO in bulk.

This might be an option for you: put an ad on craigslist or other forums, asking to buy filtered/dewatered WVO for $1-2 a gallon. Some bio co-ops sell VO, or start a VO co-op like we did here.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby VegiCamper » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:52 am

Hi Kevin,
Did you ever find SVO or a group in SF?
I recently got a WVO converted car, have a reliable supply from local restaurants, and rather than doing it alone in my basement it would be great to join or start a coop to filter WVO together.
VegiCamper

Postby lwaomlbf » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:57 pm

Hello fellow SF WVO users,

I have had a converted Jetta for about 5 years ... that was till someone hit it while parked on the street and did so much damage it was considered a total loss. As I don't really need a car right now (nor do I have the time or space to convert another car at the moment) I have found myself with a stock of "ready to go" WVO sitting around. If anyone is looking for clean, one source, .5 micron filtered fuel, I would love to sell some of my supply. Not looking for an outrageous price (my asking price would be lower then the local pump) just something to cover the cost of my time spent collecting, filtering, and storing.

Thanks
lwaomlbf

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering